Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Good install, no network

  1. #1
    jmneely
    Guest

    Good install, no network

    The install went well and when I said yes to DHCP the install said OK. However, after restarting I don't have any network access.

    I didn't find any error messages inthe log files, ifup doesn't help, mii-tool doesn't do anything.

    I even backed off to a 3C950 network card. Still no network.

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Posts
    96
    What does dmesg report? I don't know dmesg that well but I'm sure it reports NIC status. See what is reported for eth0. What does ifconfig return?

    Mike

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    21
    I had the same problem, which I fixed. I already have a linux router listening for DHCP requests. I saw that DHCP failed during boot on my Debian/KNOPPIX install. I beleave its because it is trying to do the same thing as my router. I ran ifconfig -a to get a list of all the adapters, and it did see eth0 as my ethernet card. I then ran pump and it configured my adapter and set up routing. What pump does is send a DHCP request, which is what my router is listening for. When you run pump, you have to specify the interface that you are using. I have not added this to my startup yet as I am limited in my time. When I do I will add to the post.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1
    Edit /etc/network/interfaces and make sure the following two lines are in it:

    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

    If you don't use dhcp, enter the ip address and other relevant data according to the manpage for "interfaces" (man interfaces).

    Worked for me, YMMV.

    Cheers,
    Raymond

Similar Threads

  1. hosed hd with mbr...how do I install an mbr on good drive
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-16-2004, 06:03 PM
  2. Network works off CD, not off HD install
    By Corwin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-04-2004, 03:29 AM
  3. Help!How to install knoppix by network
    By winter009 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 05:00 PM
  4. Floppy/network install???
    By bamarob in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 01:14 AM
  5. PII 300 Good enough for HD install?
    By Eradicator in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-09-2003, 05:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$334.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...

$679.99



Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen 1 i5-10310U 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good picture

Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen 1 i5-10310U 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good

$222.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$242.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$249.99