Well, it's quake: you point, you click, you frag
:P
Well, it's quake: you point, you click, you frag
:P
Yup, I got that part. Look, I haven't played quake but once or twice eons ago on a windoze network.
Now, I burn a few CDs of the KnoppixQuake and boot them up and nothing happens. It looks like the server starts up after booting when I cd quake and then run the script startquake. But then what???
How do you start a network game over a LAN?
Thanx,
Once you have the quake server up and running you go to your other computer that has quake installed on it and and run Quake.
Then you get to the console and type `connect` and you'll be connected to the server.
I think the issue here is that it wasn't mentioned that you need a client (the computer(s) that want to play quake) to connect to the server after it is all up and running.
Well, I thought the CD would include the client too. That way, everyone boots up the same CD and one person sets up the game with the server and everyone else connects. That way everything is contained on one CD and you can run a 'LAN party' whenever you want!
I guess I'm spoiled by StarCraft.
Sorry, I thought that was the idea....
Regards,
This would be perfect if this could be done with a half-life server running DoD(Day of Defeat).Great for lan parties etc...
How would I go about creating my own version of this???Never done befroe but willing to try...
Unless of course someone else has already done this....???
thanks
Hi, I've gotten done building the ded servers for CS, DOD, Q2 CTF , Q3A and am currently building stuff for SOF2, UT2K etc. However, i tried to remaster the cd once and had some wierd problems (KnoppixQuake (MW) --it was me who emailed you) .
Anyways, if you want to take a crack at this, I would be happy to provide the scripts I'm using....cant provide the WAD files etc .. that might be considered a breach of the licensing agreement.
Can anyone recommend a linux quake client to work with this CD?
Can I install it to a ramdisk on the fly without making my own remaster?
Hey, since there are server execs openly available on the inet, why don't someone -with more free time than me...- put them in the knoppix lite CD, and make a simple script or something to tell him where to look for the game files. You place "gaming knoppix" cd in one cd unit, the halflife/quake1|2|3/whatever cd in the other and there you go!
You don't need much of a openoffice or kde3 to make it work (hell, it may use only text mode, or a small icewm or similar instead!) so you can cut down some good MB. If we are lucky enough it may work from a cdrw small 3.5'cd.
This way, the next lanparty I get I may take my old PII with me and turn it into a "gaming dedicated server box" in two minutes, have some shoots, and when the people gets cooled down take the cd away, place the normal knoppix cd instead and surf the web for half an hour... until another round starts.
Well, the KNOPPIXQUAKE ISO is what got me started! I promised my students a LAN Party after their AP Computer Science exam in May. Now I'm stuck without a client!
I'm thinking of using the Morphix gamemod CD with Doom instead....
Anyway, I want my students to USE Linux for work AND play!
I am working on the client version.
I always thought the hard part was getting the server running, so that is what I tackled first. To be honest, the Linux Quake client isn't that great IMO. Also, this CD boots into text mode, there is no Xwindows on it. Therefore, having the Linux client on there wouldn't be very helpful.
What I am trying to do now is to have the CD boot up running an ftp server and contain the Windows and Linux clients. Then you could boot up one server and have everyone download the clients from it. You don't even really need to "install" the client on Windows, you can just unzip it to a directory and play it from there. But I understand that it is more obtrusive than booting and running it from a CD.
Mabye I'll add Xwindows back in so that you could use the same CD for everyone. But then you would be limited to using the Linux client, which I don't really care for.
I am also checking into what other servers/clients could be included on the CD. If anyone has any good suggestions (and tarballs of working servers would be helpful) just drop me a line: [email protected]

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC
$40.00
Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00
DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29
Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00
Atari SX212 Modem for IBM Systems w/ Box, Owner's Manual & Power Adapter NOS
$125.00
Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99
Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95
ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller
$29.99
UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25
Vintage Atari SF354 Floppy Disk Drive & Power Supply FOR PARTS OR REPAIR AS IS
$120.00