-
Orinoco Wireless Issues
Using the latest Knoppix and an Orinoco Gold wifi card and can't get card to start...
Here is some info...
iwconfig gives the following:
Warning: Driver for device eth0 has been compiled with version 15 of Wireless Extension, while this program is using version 16.
Some things may be broken...
Also tried to start the device with:
/etc/pcmcia/network start eth0
and received the following:
/sbin/pump -i eth0 > /dev/null
Operation failed.
Any help would be greatly appreciated... And since I am new to Knoppix, please be specific... Thanks again in advanced
ez
-
Senior Member
registered user
this first warning can be ignored.
what did "iwconfig eth0" say ? Another question, what is the access point you want to connect to ? Orinoco shouldn't have any problem with linux as it is almost the first and the best supported card, though lacking feature wise as far as I read.
-
-
Senior Member
registered user
if memory serve you are running 'managed' mode which requires you to enter the correct essid(blank in your case). Either change it to ad-hoc mode or provide the correct essid and see if it works.
the monitor mode issue is seperate from the rest as after you have put it into monitor mode, it is no longer used to access the network but only good for airsnort(as far as I know). I need to pull and plug and redo everything again if I want to access the network. another thing you mention is you want to crack WEP suggesting your network is using WEB then you need to give the card the correct key as well in order to access
-
Ok... Let me ask you this... If my memory serves me correct, while running redhat linux with the same card, whether I have the correct essid or not, I get lights on my card letting me know that it is functional...
Or am I mistaking?
-
Senior Member
registered user
I have no idea about RH(never used before), may be someone else have better knowledge about it. What I mentioned is what I learnt about my Orinoco silver.
-
-
question for orinoco users!
What mode are you all using for laptop to your AP?
I loaded my rh9 laptop, auto configed my wifi card, verified internet connection and noticed it was in ad-hoc mode... and was a little surprised...
thanks
Similar Threads
-
By jdamron in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-01-2004, 05:32 PM
-
By c123 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 12
Last Post: 05-09-2004, 04:29 PM
-
By fluppel in forum Networking
Replies: 12
Last Post: 05-08-2004, 06:43 PM
-
By fluze in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-05-2003, 01:25 AM
-
By Guest in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-26-2002, 03:02 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55

Set of 2 HMAA4GR7CJR8N-XN HYNIX 32GB (1X32GB) 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA MEMORY
$500.00

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM
$139.99

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

SK Hynix HMAA4GR7CJR8N-XN 32GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory RDIMM
$329.99

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

SAMSUNG 128GB (4x32GB) M393A4K40BB1-CRC4Q RAM DDR4-2400T RDIMM ECC Memory
$666.00

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50