Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Orinoco Wireless Issues

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5

    Orinoco Wireless Issues

    Using the latest Knoppix and an Orinoco Gold wifi card and can't get card to start...

    Here is some info...

    iwconfig gives the following:

    Warning: Driver for device eth0 has been compiled with version 15 of Wireless Extension, while this program is using version 16.
    Some things may be broken...

    Also tried to start the device with:
    /etc/pcmcia/network start eth0

    and received the following:

    /sbin/pump -i eth0 > /dev/null
    Operation failed.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated... And since I am new to Knoppix, please be specific... Thanks again in advanced

    ez

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    this first warning can be ignored.

    what did "iwconfig eth0" say ? Another question, what is the access point you want to connect to ? Orinoco shouldn't have any problem with linux as it is almost the first and the best supported card, though lacking feature wise as far as I read.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5
    iwconfig eth0 gives:

    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ iwconfig eth0
    Warning: Driver for device eth0 has been compiled with
    version 15
    of Wireless Extension, while this program is using
    version 16.
    Some things may be broken...

    eth0 IEEE 802.11-DS ESSID:"" Nickname:"HERMES I"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.457GHz Access Point: 44:44:44:44:44:44
    Bit Rate:11Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm Sensitivity:1/242700000
    Retry limit:4 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Power Managementff

    And the access point I have is a buffalotech AP, but I have 2 laptops and I was wanting to try to run airsnort to see how long it takes to crack my wep key... Running airsnort gives the error:

    could not set monitor mode

    I did however used the command to put eth0 in monitor mode:

    iwpriv monitor eth0 1 9

    I am however thinking the airsnort problem is not getting the wifi card up and running...

    again... Thanks in advanced...

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    if memory serve you are running 'managed' mode which requires you to enter the correct essid(blank in your case). Either change it to ad-hoc mode or provide the correct essid and see if it works.

    the monitor mode issue is seperate from the rest as after you have put it into monitor mode, it is no longer used to access the network but only good for airsnort(as far as I know). I need to pull and plug and redo everything again if I want to access the network. another thing you mention is you want to crack WEP suggesting your network is using WEB then you need to give the card the correct key as well in order to access

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5
    Ok... Let me ask you this... If my memory serves me correct, while running redhat linux with the same card, whether I have the correct essid or not, I get lights on my card letting me know that it is functional...

    Or am I mistaking?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    I have no idea about RH(never used before), may be someone else have better knowledge about it. What I mentioned is what I learnt about my Orinoco silver.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5
    Ok... Attempting to get functionaility out of my card in Knoppix...

    Set my essid, wep key, and so forth... Once I do that, I need to restart the pcmcia service, correct?

    here is what I get after making all the additions in the wlcardconfig command.

    root@ttyp1[pcmcia]# ./network stop eth0
    /sbin/pump -i eth0 > /dev/null
    Operation failed.

    root@ttyp1[pcmcia]# ./network start eth0
    /sbin/iwconfig eth0 channel 9
    Error for wireless request "Set Frequency" (8B04) :
    SET failed on device eth0 ; Operation not
    supported.
    /sbin/iwconfig eth0 key (actual wep key removed)
    Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
    invalid argument "(actual wep key removed)".
    /sbin/pump -i eth0 > /dev/null
    Operation failed.

    Here is what I get with the iwconfig eth0 command now:

    root@ttyp1[pcmcia]# iwconfig eth0
    Warning: Driver for device eth0 has been compiled with
    version 15
    of Wireless Extension, while this program is using
    version 16.
    Some things may be broken...

    eth0 IEEE 802.11-DS ESSID:"(Actual essid removed)"
    Nickname:"Knoppix"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.457GHz Access
    Point: 44:44:44:44:44:44
    Bit Rate:11Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm
    Sensitivity:1/242700000
    Retry limit:4 RTS thrff Fragment
    thrff
    Encryption keyff
    Power Managementff

    Any ideas?

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5

    question for orinoco users!

    What mode are you all using for laptop to your AP?

    I loaded my rh9 laptop, auto configed my wifi card, verified internet connection and noticed it was in ad-hoc mode... and was a little surprised...

    thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-01-2004, 05:32 PM
  2. Avaya (Orinoco) Wireless Card
    By c123 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-09-2004, 04:29 PM
  3. wireless Ad-hoc, 2 IBM Thinkpads, Orinoco Gold
    By fluppel in forum Networking
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-08-2004, 06:43 PM
  4. Orinoco wireless usb help...
    By fluze in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-05-2003, 01:25 AM
  5. Orinoco Wireless PCMCIA / Dell 1150 PCMCIA Support?
    By Guest in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-26-2002, 03:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73



1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 Storage Backup for PC Mac Laptop picture

1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 Storage Backup for PC Mac Laptop

$29.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$139.99



Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive

$29.99



Samsung 990 Pro Solid State Drive 1TB PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD picture

Samsung 990 Pro Solid State Drive 1TB PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD

$204.99