Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: f-prot remaster

  1. #1

    f-prot remaster

    I am currently working on a re-master for techs that support Windows called Medix. I am trying to install f-protect to its default directory (/usr/local) so that it will play nicely with xfprotect (the gui front end). My problem is that I can't seem to find a way to install f-prot to the default directory, but have it pull it's definitions from /home/knoppix/*. I have read through the man pages and html docs for "f-prot" and "check-updates.pl" and scoured the net for some sort of clue.

    I have found lots of ways to install and run it from the live cd, and several references to people who have got it working on remasters or who are currently in the process of working on it, but no real leads on whatever it is that I am missing.

    I have vi'd the install script for f-prot and the only thing that looks promising is modifying the source directory, but examination of the script leads me to believe that this would also modify the install directory. Am I wrong?

    Is there any way to get my /home/knoppix directory from the chrooted hdd environment into the compressed image so that it is carried over at boot from the CD? That seems unlikely to me.

    If I am missing something obvious feel free to lambaste me, its 3 AM here and I have been trying to work around this for more hours and CD's than I care to count.

    any help would be appreciated

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    30
    This may be a dumb suggestion but couldn't you just delete the default folder and sym-link it to whereever you wanna put your files? You could even have the symlink created at boot using rc5.d or something like that so you won't have to worry about what comes from where when you master the image.

    Good luck.

  3. #3
    Thanks for the reply, I have decided to go with Clam AV instead. It allows me to specify where I want the virus defs downloaded to and where I am going to pick them up from using CLI switches, better EULA too since it is GPL. It has worked perfectly in testing so far.

    Now if I could just get dosemu straigtened out I would be golden.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    apex_predator,

    Let us know when you get this finished up. Sounds like a nice project.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7
    Have a look at L.A.S. (http://localareasecurity.com) the latest version has ClamAV and you can run 'freshclams' to update. From what I read they also have alot of cisco tools on the latest that I use alot. I like that it runs on a miniCD too.


  6. #6
    My remaster (Medix) also allows for freshclam update, in fact it is the preferred method and runs from a single click on a desktop shortcut (the disk is for Windows techs).

    My remaster is currently in beta testing with about 30 technicians world wide. Version 0.1 (public release) will include a user interface based on advanced shell scripting. (much like the install interface for slackware, or, for those that remember, all distros 4 years ago)

    not slagging LAS, I cant wait to try it out, just has a different target than my release.

Similar Threads

  1. f-prot installation
    By jjbergdolt in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2005, 06:11 PM
  2. apt get f=prot
    By rockmead76 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-29-2004, 08:48 PM
  3. cannot install f-prot with klik
    By jMon54 in forum Klik
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-07-2004, 07:18 PM
  4. F-Prot (Antivirus)
    By probono in forum Klik
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-07-2004, 12:36 PM
  5. F-Prot
    By Sgeo in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-23-2004, 12:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge R640  8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU

$315.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$41.19



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections

$60.00