What kind of hardware are you using?
BTW, I just purchased (well my school purchsed for my students at my behest) a whole new lab of Dell Optiplex GX270s, so I guess its worth the purchase!
Regards,
Is Buying a whole New PC worth Installing Linux?
There are nNO drivers for any of my hardware, Errr I take that back
My Printer and Monitor work JUST FINE.
I thought in Linux you could use ANY computer! but i Thought Wrong.
I guess No One uses the same Stuff I have.. so I guess I'm kinda stuick with Windows.
What kind of hardware are you using?
BTW, I just purchased (well my school purchsed for my students at my behest) a whole new lab of Dell Optiplex GX270s, so I guess its worth the purchase!
Regards,
ATI All In Wonder 7500, (NO DRIVERS)
Creative Labs Live! (NO DRIVERS)
Logitech USB mouse (shows up as PS/2)
HSP 56k Micromodem (FOUND DRIVERS, i think it only works with Mandrake)
and some other odds and ends i threw together
Well for ATI All In Wonder 7500, is that a video card? If so, there must be some cheat you could use. I recently got a lab of Dell Optiplex GX270s with onboard intel video and audio chips. What a hassle! I have to boot with vga=normal screen=1024x768 xvrefresh=60 just to get ok video without tons of boot errors. BTW, alsa didn't help, so no sound yet....
For Creative Labs Live didi you try alsa?
I had some USB mice installed last year without a hitch. They were recognized right away. I had a problem with them in MORPHIX, but there was a cheat for that too.
As for a modem, you really have to get an ethernet card and cable modem - you don't know what you're missing! Works like a charm.
Good Luck,
I tried ALSA, I want the Card to work like its supposed to work
I bought 4 speakers, I expect sound From all 4 Speakers!
and as for ATI all in wonder -- I have to use VESA! or else iKnoppix will freeze! that means i can't play QuakeIII, or any games that require 3d Accelration. i thought i could just use Linux in perfect harmony!
as for a modem -- u need CABLE internet -- Its Not Gonna happeen - Don't have $60/month for internet!
OK, on the usb mouse I used in MORPHIX:
morphix forceusb=yes
is there such a cheat for KNOPPIX? Try it, you might like it!
Cable costs $60/mo? Who you paying off, the mafia? I get cable internet for $29/mo in addition to my cable tv. In fact, I think the promo now is the cable modem is free (if you install it yourself) and the service is $19/mo for the first 3 months then it goes to $29/mo.
Good Luck,
for me cable is even cheaperin the netherlands they are advertising ADSL and Cable for as low as E15,-!!!
And 'bout the hardware, I guess you're just unlucky. MOST hardware works with linux, esp. the older hw. But for the newest on-the-edge hardware, drivers aren't written yet. You should at least send an email to Creative for the drivers, THEY should supply drivers for linux, as they do for winblow$... the same goes for ATI, etc etc! But I guess that wont really help![]()
You'll have to wait until someone writes the needed drivers, write them yourself, or get the hardware's suplying company write them.
I just went to ATI's web site.. They have Drivers for 8500 on up... not the 7500. and im all new to Linux, do I'd do my self a favor and download Knoppix, and and give a whirl and Ive had more headaches with Linux than windows, I haven't had a Problem with Windows at all.. But i did Find a DRiver for ATI All In wonder, but's an RPM and its for Mandrake. so I guess I have to go to Mandrake.
I'm sorry I cant help you, maybe others can - I dont know much 'bout drivers etc, and it looks like others dont know it either cuz they dont reply![]()
Did you try the lastest release (20030905)? It cured my sound problems!
Thanx Klaus,

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-768GB +384GB - 656-0119/ 656-0120
$69.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$155.00
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25
Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99
1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$949.00
Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73