View Poll Results: Would tyou buy All new Hardware for Linux?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah, Of Course

    8 80.00%
  • It's Not woth spending $1000 for a Free piece of Software

    2 20.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Gotta Question

  1. #21
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: UMmm

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Snark
    I just went to ATI's web site.. They have Drivers for 8500 on up... not the 7500.
    My Radeon 7200 works beautifully.

    and im all new to Linux, do I'd do my self a favor and download Knoppix, and and give a whirl and Ive had more headaches with Linux than windows, I haven't had a Problem with Windows at all..
    If you were more than a home pc/ desktop user I imagine you wouldn't say that. How many machines have you installed windows to? I've done several hundred at least. It's never easy and it takes forever. I don't even own a windows machine and yet wondoze gives me nothing BUT problems. How's that? For example- my ISP is getting attacked thanks to the crappy code that M$ claims is secure. (even tho they can't get their patches to install properly). All it takes to bring M$ to its knees is a 300lb 18 year old with a very unoriginal idea.

    But i did Find a DRiver for ATI All In wonder, but's an RPM and its for Mandrake. so I guess I have to go to Mandrake.
    You can use whatever distro you like. But.....first of all, if there is a driver then it is for Linux not Mandrake. An rpm is simply a package made for ease of installation. It was still made with the same driver. Just because Mandrake uses rpm's doesn't mean squat! Also- you can install rpm's on virtually any Linux system. You just have to know how. Have a look at alien.

    You don't have to get a cable modem- stick w/ your dial-up but get a real HARDWARE modem. Personally I find it highly unsatisfactory that some companies are so cheap that they don't even sell you a real piece of hardware. Instead they rely on that bug ridden, giant security hole that is windoze to make the modem work. I'd feel screwed if I were you.

    Lastly- don't think that because no-one responded that you're being neglected. I saw your subject line but since you didn't feel it was worth your time to write a descriptive subject line like "need help with ATI drivers" for example I just didn't feel it was worth my time to read it.

    If you want "flick-of-the-switch" easy then by all means stick with M$. After all- it's that very philosophy that got computing into the big mess it's in today. Don't agree? Well- I find it very interesting to note that M$ has begun hosting their update.com site on Linux servers don't you?

  2. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3
    not worth $1000, but you don't need that to run linux, $500 is enough... a used box may be even better.

    Anyway, Live! has no sorround then? There's no way around it? Are there any soundboards that have sorround for linux? If so, which ones?

  3. #23
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Perky_Goth
    not worth $1000, but you don't need that to run linux, $500 is enough... a used box may be even better.
    I have 4 machines. Total cost of all of them is less than $1000 combined and they all run Linux just fine.

    Anyway, Live! has no sorround then? There's no way around it? Are there any soundboards that have sorround for linux? If so, which ones?
    Check out the Alsa Project Page to see the supported sound cards.

  4. #24
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    I have 4 machines. Total cost of all of them is less than $1000 combined and they all run Linux just fine.
    If that's true, and you're burning Knoppix DVDs, that's pretty impressive. What Linux app are you using to burn DVDs?

  5. #25
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    If that's true, and you're burning Knoppix DVDs, that's pretty impressive. What Linux app are you using to burn DVDs?
    Sure it's true. 233Mhz Toshiba laptop-$175 (cd-rw included) 233Mhz PPC-$105, 550Mhz K7-$250 & a 486 Linux router-$10 Add the monitors, kb's mice, CAT5, hub, etc. and I'm right there under $1000. None of em fancy or super fast but they all work very well.

    Since I have a DVD+RW I use DVD+RW-tools (which is supposed to work for DVD-R too). I've seen DVD burners for $125 or less shipped stateside.

  6. #26
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstoned
    allright, I DONT understand THAT one hehe
    Not to worry Superman, "ni mierda" is just colloquial Spanish for the English colloquialism, "no sh*t".

    If I ever needed to, I could probably offend almost anyone in the world in their native language.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 04:40 PM
  2. Ok, this is just crazy!!! I gotta know!
    By Budman21901 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 09:33 AM
  3. I did it again... I gotta learn how to do this....HELP!
    By pgk3734 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-04-2004, 05:40 AM
  4. Grub settings, quick question... really my last question :p
    By mark1221 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-01-2003, 10:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS  PromBlaster picture

Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS PromBlaster

$895.00



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1 picture

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1

$250.00



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE

$249.00



Vintage Coach Signature Embossed Leather Tobacco Tablet E-Reader Case 8” picture

Vintage Coach Signature Embossed Leather Tobacco Tablet E-Reader Case 8”

$79.99



Vintage 1983-87 Macintosh System Tools 3.5 Floppy Disk Version 2.0.1 690-6023-B picture

Vintage 1983-87 Macintosh System Tools 3.5 Floppy Disk Version 2.0.1 690-6023-B

$38.00



Vintage Heritage Leather Laptop/Binder Bag W/ Calculator - All Original Mint Con picture

Vintage Heritage Leather Laptop/Binder Bag W/ Calculator - All Original Mint Con

$32.00



Vintage Computer Sun Ultra 1 UltraSpark Driven - Mystery condition as-is Parts picture

Vintage Computer Sun Ultra 1 UltraSpark Driven - Mystery condition as-is Parts

$49.78



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP

$299.99



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00