not worth $1000, but you don't need that to run linux, $500 is enough... a used box may be even better.
Anyway, Live! has no sorround then? There's no way around it? Are there any soundboards that have sorround for linux? If so, which ones?
My Radeon 7200 works beautifully.Originally Posted by Dr Snark
If you were more than a home pc/ desktop user I imagine you wouldn't say that. How many machines have you installed windows to? I've done several hundred at least. It's never easy and it takes forever. I don't even own a windows machine and yet wondoze gives me nothing BUT problems. How's that? For example- my ISP is getting attacked thanks to the crappy code that M$ claims is secure. (even tho they can't get their patches to install properly). All it takes to bring M$ to its knees is a 300lb 18 year old with a very unoriginal idea.and im all new to Linux, do I'd do my self a favor and download Knoppix, and and give a whirl and Ive had more headaches with Linux than windows, I haven't had a Problem with Windows at all..
You can use whatever distro you like. But.....first of all, if there is a driver then it is for Linux not Mandrake. An rpm is simply a package made for ease of installation. It was still made with the same driver. Just because Mandrake uses rpm's doesn't mean squat! Also- you can install rpm's on virtually any Linux system. You just have to know how. Have a look at alien.But i did Find a DRiver for ATI All In wonder, but's an RPM and its for Mandrake. so I guess I have to go to Mandrake.
You don't have to get a cable modem- stick w/ your dial-up but get a real HARDWARE modem. Personally I find it highly unsatisfactory that some companies are so cheap that they don't even sell you a real piece of hardware. Instead they rely on that bug ridden, giant security hole that is windoze to make the modem work. I'd feel screwed if I were you.
Lastly- don't think that because no-one responded that you're being neglected. I saw your subject line but since you didn't feel it was worth your time to write a descriptive subject line like "need help with ATI drivers" for example I just didn't feel it was worth my time to read it.
If you want "flick-of-the-switch" easy then by all means stick with M$. After all- it's that very philosophy that got computing into the big mess it's in today. Don't agree? Well- I find it very interesting to note that M$ has begun hosting their update.com site on Linux servers don't you?
not worth $1000, but you don't need that to run linux, $500 is enough... a used box may be even better.
Anyway, Live! has no sorround then? There's no way around it? Are there any soundboards that have sorround for linux? If so, which ones?
I have 4 machines. Total cost of all of them is less than $1000 combined and they all run Linux just fine.Originally Posted by Perky_Goth
Check out the Alsa Project Page to see the supported sound cards.Anyway, Live! has no sorround then? There's no way around it? Are there any soundboards that have sorround for linux? If so, which ones?
If that's true, and you're burning Knoppix DVDs, that's pretty impressive. What Linux app are you using to burn DVDs?Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
Sure it's true. 233Mhz Toshiba laptop-$175 (cd-rw included) 233Mhz PPC-$105, 550Mhz K7-$250 & a 486 Linux router-$10 Add the monitors, kb's mice, CAT5, hub, etc. and I'm right there under $1000. None of em fancy or super fast but they all work very well.Originally Posted by j.drake
Since I have a DVD+RW I use DVD+RW-tools (which is supposed to work for DVD-R too). I've seen DVD burners for $125 or less shipped stateside.
Not to worry Superman, "ni mierda" is just colloquial Spanish for the English colloquialism, "no sh*t".Originally Posted by Superstoned
If I ever needed to, I could probably offend almost anyone in the world in their native language.![]()

PARTS ONLY* Kingston Fury Renegade Pro 64GB 2x32GB DDR5 Server RAM KF556R36RB-32
$599.99
Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00
Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00
ADATA XPG Lancer Blade RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Desktop RAM Black
$429.94
NEW IN BOX - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (2x16gb) DDR6200 CL36 CMH32GX5M2B6200C3
$550.00
Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00