-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
A. Jorge Garcia
It takes my "Poor Man's Dual Boot" 90 seconds to boot with "DOSBootFloppy" on my new Dell Optiplex GX270.
When I try to boot straight off the CD with the "toram" boot string, it takes 270 seconds! Also, I get no partitions on the desktop, and nothing runs any faster than normal.
Now this may well be because I have barely enough ram to run "toram" (778MB), but I thought it would run better than that! The only benefit I see to using "toram" is to free-up the cd drive.
Regards,
Well it's obviously going to take longer to boot since the image has to be copied to a ramdisk. I used toram with 1gig of ram and once the image was copied Knoppix ran slightly faster than normal. I noticed that swap was being used so I booted again with a noswap option. Things stayed about the same in terms of speed.
I tried out the tohd option today and it worked pretty well. It would not copy the cd to a linux partition I had, but it copied it fine to a windows partition. The tohd option also gives you the option to free up the cd. Speed from the hd is pretty good. Not that different than from toram or hd (at least on my machine). The tohd option essentially does a poormans install onto your hard drive. Technically you should be able to continually boot from it using either a boot floppy or a modified lilo.
I didn't put this in a previous post but PLEASE do not use tohd on a windows partition if you are using ntfs. You do this at your own peril. No one on knoppix.net will take responsibility if anyone's machine/hd is hosed.
I noticed another post of yours somewhere saying that the new cd is slower, but I haven't noticed that at all. It's running just as fast if not faster than previous releases on boxes that I have tested it on.
Similar Threads
-
By Gromit in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-08-2005, 05:01 AM
-
By helios17 in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 11-27-2004, 06:27 AM
-
By zem.mattress in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-06-2004, 05:03 AM
-
By lilsirecho in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-10-2004, 03:53 PM
-
By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-26-2003, 01:27 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710
$349.99