Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: KNOPPIX & SIGMATEL STI 4200

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2

    KNOPPIX & SIGMATEL STI 4200

    Can i use my usb-irda dongle (Sigmatel STI 4200) with knoppix??

    The linux driver can be found at http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.p...orum_id=174804

    Is this dongle automatically configured??

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1
    Hello
    I am sorry I can't help you.
    But perhaps you can help me, did you succeded in your research since your question ?
    If yes could you share your experience ?
    Thanks a lot
    Xalbat

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    I'd like to be able to use this too! I bought one of these USB-IrDA devices cheaply on eBay. It seems that 'all' the cheap dongles are based on this chip.

    The driver is reported to work in the sourceforge forum mentioned at the link in the first post. With statements like "I've compiled.... works.... thanks....." but no further information on how-to!

    Help!

    Stu.....

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    I've made a bit of (stumbling) progress. The first thing is to download the .tgz file from:-

    http://wetlogic.net/stewart/stir4200/

    Then extract (I did all this download/extract Mozilla and KDE (used 'ark')).

    This gives you:-

    Makefile
    stir4200.c
    stir4200.h

    Then modprobe irda - if you don't do this, when you do the 'make' in the next step, you'll get shedloads of errors ('shedloads' = lots of errors).

    Then from the shell 'make stir4200.c'

    This gives you the driver 'stir4200.o'

    I didn't know where to put this so I added a line to one of the module config files (I forgot, like an idiot straight after I did it).

    Then 'insmod stir4200'

    So, plugging in the IrDA/USB dongle now gives the following message in dmesg

    hub.c: new USB device 00:10.2-1, assigned address 7
    SigmaTel STIr4200 IRDA/USB found at address 7, Vendor: 66f, Product: 4200
    IrDA: Registered SigmaTel device irda0

    This looks like progress!

    Any idea how I can check it's doing something? (I have a Palm IIIc with IrDA) - or my daughters Sagem my-x6 mobile?

    Cheers, Stu.....

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    I added a line to /etc/modprobe.conf' to add a 'local directory'

    Not sure if this was needed.

    Also copied the stir4200.o to /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/kernel/drivers/usb

    Not sure if this was needed

    Stu.....

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    You also need:-

    ircomm
    ircomm-tty

    ....and somehow this makes ircomm0 available. 'chmod' so that it's r/w

    I've managed to sync the palm using this port, but does anyone have a suggestion for receiving files from the mobile?

    Stu.....

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    .....and you need to use:-

    ifconfig irda0 up (or down to switch it off)

    (Thanks rickenbacherus)

    Stuart.....

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix Fried GeForce 4 Ti 4200!
    By igs in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-24-2004, 08:24 AM
  2. NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200
    By Da_Brain in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2004, 12:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$385.00



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives picture

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives

$59.99



FLASHFORGE AD5X Upgraded Multi-Color 3D Printer CoreXY High-Speed Auto Refill US picture

FLASHFORGE AD5X Upgraded Multi-Color 3D Printer CoreXY High-Speed Auto Refill US

$349.00