I just thought I'd post that as of Knoppix 2003-09-05, the distro seems to work quite well with my Micron TransPort XT laptop (P-III 850, 128 MB RAM).
It actually worked fairly well with previous releases, but this one works with sound. (Interestingly enough, prior to this, ClusterKnoppix was one of the very few linuxii that would automagically get sound working on that particular machine.)
I'll try and make it a point to test out all the as-yet-untested components and add more detail to my comments here later. This laptop features video out, IR, and all the usual suspects. I'll also try it out with a Cisco wireless PCMCIA NIC at the office just on general principle, but at this point I feel pretty solid about using Knoppix in the field with the laptop. (And *gods* is Knoppix handy in real world network troubleshooting, data recovery, etc.)

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99
Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW
$225.00
AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$175.00
Intel Core i7-11700K 3.6GHz 8-Core 16-Thread LGA1200 Desktop CPU Processor
$134.99
SRF8X Intel Xeon Gold 6240 18 Core 2.60GHz 24.75MB 150W Processor CPU
$19.99
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor….
$309.99
AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF
$435.99
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked
$69.99
2024 MacBook Pro - 14-inch - M4 Pro - 24GB RAM - 512GB SSD - ''Rеаd dеѕсriрtiоn
$1197.00
Apple Mac Pro Model A1481 Computer 8core Intel Xeon E5 64 GB Storage 500 G2U
$189.99