Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Knoppix is great!

  1. #1

    Knoppix is great!

    Hi.
    I downloaded a day and a night the knoppix ISO image and I runned it.
    I is very great stuff. I autodetected everything .. including the Internet connection.
    In fact I am witing this message using KNOPPIX CD (I put it in the cdrom and booted it WITHOUT any manual configuration).

    I am thinking to copy the CD to my friends.
    Also I found the CD for sale in many stores (on the Internet) and knoppix is cheaper than a warez CD (btw: who needs warez? since exist such good stuff free/legal..)
    Good work!
    Paul.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    3
    I found out as well that Knoppix does a great job of detecting and supporting the hardware I have in my system. Only component I'm not sure about was my Sandisk USB compact flash card reader. I expected it would be listed as an available mountable device (like a HD or FD) but I didn't see it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: Knoppix is great!

    Quote Originally Posted by paulnasca
    Hi.
    I downloaded a day and a night the knoppix ISO image and I runned it.
    I is very great stuff. I autodetected everything .. including the Internet connection.
    In fact I am witing this message using KNOPPIX CD (I put it in the cdrom and booted it WITHOUT any manual configuration).

    I am thinking to copy the CD to my friends.
    Also I found the CD for sale in many stores (on the Internet) and knoppix is cheaper than a warez CD (btw: who needs warez? since exist such good stuff free/legal..)
    Good work!
    Paul.
    I agree completely. With things like Knoppix and OSS in general there is no excuse for using warez.

    Glad you're enjoying Knoppix.

    Adam

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    24
    Yes. Knoppix is GREAT.
    Its the Distro that made me NOT to want to look back to windows. And this is no joke.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Only component I'm not sure about was my Sandisk USB compact flash card reader.
    Try (as root)

    mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt

    but I've heard that some sandisk stuff isn't fully usb compliant (just appears to be in Windows).

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Jackson, MS, USA
    Posts
    25
    Knoppix is indeed great.

    I've been using it in the field for everything from recovering files on seemingly toasted hard drives to scoping out the situation on systems with an assortment of problems on various networks my company supports.

    Yesterday the owner of the company took the plunge and borrowed a copy to burn, and today some of the tech support people at [major PC vendor] were more than a little impressed with how I was able to use it to trim hours from the troubleshooting process.

    Plus, while I'm running a low-level format (or whatever) on one PC, I can play Frozen Bubble on the one next to it.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by UselessPython
    Plus, while I'm running a low-level format (or whatever) on one PC, I can play Frozen Bubble on the one next to it.
    low-level format, uh? (that hasn't been possible since around the i80286).

    Anyways, I've updated my knoppix hdinstall to kernel 2.6. I didn't think there was much of a change when running Linux, it booted a bit faster, and KDE doesn't load that slow anymore. But always when I boot to XP I'm disgusted about the interactivity performance. Everything just feels slow as opposed to Linux. Especially when something is "using" the HD (virusscan, defrag, find).

    That's on an AMD XP2000+ and 512MB SDRAM, should be "enough" for MS Windows, you'd say. Maybe I'll try installing Knoppix or Morphix on my old P100-40MB and see what 2.6 can do there.

    OSS r0x0rs, as certain people would say.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Jackson, MS, USA
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Henk Poley
    Quote Originally Posted by UselessPython
    Plus, while I'm running a low-level format (or whatever) on one PC, I can play Frozen Bubble on the one next to it.
    low-level format, uh? (that hasn't been possible since around the i80286).
    Sure, it's possible. I performed a low-level format on a few-month-old 20 GB drive this weekend.

    And from what my C++ professor told us when we first started covering pointers, it's possible to accidentally perform one by cataclysmically blundering *'s.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by UselessPython
    Quote Originally Posted by Henk Poley
    low-level format, uh? (that hasn't been possible since around the i80286).
    Sure, it's possible. I performed a low-level format on a few-month-old 20 GB drive this weekend.

    And from what my C++ professor told us when we first started covering pointers, it's possible to accidentally perform one by cataclysmically blundering *'s.
    Sorry, but IDE drives can be "formatted" (check the bytes on the disk/partition) but not "lowlevel formatted" (rewrite the 'track' which the r/w-arm follows). The motor is not that precise anymore. Early HD's could do this, but very soon they found out that if you 'write' the track on the disks at fabrication time with a seperate machine it would stay for about 10y.

    And, if you use SpinRite: don't trust grc.com, or well maybe do, but it's docs are especialy vague on this point. If you read it carefully it only says it can do low-level format (re-interleave the disk etc.) on old non-IDE drives. Spinrite is a nice program in that it scans on a lower level than scandisk or fsck, it really tests the bytes, but it can't do miracles.

    btw, yes it was possible on early IDE drives/cards to trigger the still existing BIOS code for low-level formatting which mostly trashed your harddisk (you would have a nice paperweight).

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    8
    Yeah knoppix is the shit. QQuite amazing and helpful if u ask me. Im taking a linux class in school and every other day the computer I Was using would get formatted I can just take the cd in and not have to worry about the timely install. And I earned some brownie points with the teacher and a few students who were also fed up with the timely reinstall everyday.

    Thank You Knoppix, LINUX and all the people in this forum who were here to help me with the cheat codes and stuff liek that.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix is great!! Q's on Apache
    By krolrules in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-12-2005, 12:17 PM
  2. Knoppix rocks and you guys are great!
    By knoppixrox in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-22-2004, 01:58 PM
  3. knoppix 3.4 ---> great job
    By sharlila in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-05-2004, 12:17 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 04:51 AM
  5. Great Knoppix article @ IBM developerworks
    By monkymind in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-30-2003, 08:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


128GB (2x64GB) NEW Crucial Micron DDR5 5600 Desktop RAM UDIMM (CP2K64G56C46U5) picture

128GB (2x64GB) NEW Crucial Micron DDR5 5600 Desktop RAM UDIMM (CP2K64G56C46U5)

$2085.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Crucial Micron 8GB (1x8GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CT8G4SFRA32A picture

Crucial Micron 8GB (1x8GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CT8G4SFRA32A

$29.99



DOMINATOR® PLATINUM RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz C18 CMT32GX4M4D3600C18 picture

DOMINATOR® PLATINUM RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz C18 CMT32GX4M4D3600C18

$1200.00



Lot 100 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Reg Server Memory RDIMM RAM picture

Lot 100 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Reg Server Memory RDIMM RAM

$9599.00



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$30.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$85.00



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98