Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Installing webmin on Knoppix

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3

    Installing webmin on Knoppix

    Hello all.

    I am trying to install Webmin on my remastered Knoppix CD. The CD is supposed to be a rescue bootup CD for faceless servers. The CD contains network configs and such.
    If you mean to tell me that Webmin isn't the best way to do things, don't. I know that, my boss doesn't.

    So far I have tried three ways:

    a) apt-get install webmin
    b) Get webmin-1.100 from webmin.com and install with ./setup.sh
    c) Copy all webmin-related files from my host Debian system onto the CD image.

    Always, no matter what installation method I tried, I get this:

    Code:
    [root@debian:~] /etc/webmin/start
    Starting Webmin server in /usr/share/webmin
    unix dgram connect: No such file or directory at /usr/share/webmin/miniserv.pl line 191
    Bad arg length for Socket::pack_sockaddr_in, length is 0, should be 4 at /usr/lib/perl/5.8.0/Socket.pm line 201.
    Any ideas on this one? I have searched the interweb by google and found no relevant pages.
    Perl version on the CD (and on the host system, where webmin works just fine) is 5.8.0.
    By the way, I have updated the CD's system by running apt-get update;apt-get dist-upgrade. Might this be the problem?

    Thanks all,

    _Lasar

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Esquipulas, Oax. México
    Posts
    19
    What's here?

    unix dgram connect: No such file or directory at /usr/share/webmin/miniserv.pl line 191

    What does that line refer to?
    Why would doing a dist-upgrade cause the problem?

    Regards,

    Hugo.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Have you tried running webmin before the remastering ? Sounds like some configuration issue to me.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    52

    Re: Installing webmin on Knoppix

    Quote Originally Posted by lasar
    By the way, I have updated the CD's system by running apt-get update;apt-get dist-upgrade. Might this be the problem?
    I'm not certain, but I've been told apt-get dist-upgrade brakes too many things and not to use it. I myself have installed webmin(apt-get), the only issue I have is having to change the password after an hdinstall...

    cesman

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3
    Good insert-your-time-of-day-here.

    The line that throws the error is this one:
    Code:
    eval { syslog("info", ucfirst($config{'pam'})." starting"); };
    and it comes from this code block:
    Code:
    if ($use_syslog) {     
            eval 'openlog($config{"pam"}, "cons,pid,ndelay", "authpriv"); setlogsock("unix")';
            if ($@) {
                    $use_syslog = 0;
                    }
            else {                  
                    eval { syslog("info", ucfirst($config{'pam'})." starting"); };
                    if ($@) {
                            setlogsock("inet");
                            syslog("info", ucfirst($config{'pam'})." starting");
                            }
                    }
            }
    Have you tried running webmin before the remastering ? Sounds like some configuration issue to me.
    It did not matter whether I ran webmin while chrooted into it on the disk or while booted from CD.

    Why would doing a dist-upgrade cause the problem?
    I don't know if it matters at all. I just wanted to mention it in case it did (or does) matter.

    I'm not certain, but I've been told apt-get dist-upgrade brakes too many things and not to use it. I myself have installed webmin(apt-get), the only issue I have is having to change the password after an hdinstall...
    Well, it might be the reason. Next time I start from scratch I'm not going to do the dist-upgrade. Thanks for letting me know that webmin can indeed run on Knoppix :)

    Anyway, I solved the problem by disabling the whole code block above. As far as I can tell it is just used for Webmin's own logging purposes, which do not interest me in this case.
    I simply replaced "if ($use_syslog) {" with "if(0){" and it worked.
    Surely a dirty solution, but it works for me, so I'm happy.

    Thanks for your help everybody,

    _Lasar

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Lindenhurst, NY
    Posts
    14
    I've never used Webmin before, but my first thought was that maybe the log file it's trying to write to is read only, or you don't have permission to access it.

    It's just a guess, though I don't see why there would be a problem with writing to a log if it's on your hdd - that should only be a problem if it's on a read-only CD (or more specifically, a read-only dir on the CD).

    Again, just a guess.

    Good luck.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3
    No, that wasn't the problem. Or, it wasn't that problem. I ran into this problem on the CD later on :)

Similar Threads

  1. Add Webmin
    By in forum Ideas
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-12-2006, 12:39 AM
  2. Webmin 1.15 >> 1.16 failed
    By MrT in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-24-2004, 07:59 AM
  3. Webmin / Samba
    By ssc in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-17-2004, 04:43 PM
  4. Webmin and Knoppix 3.4 2.6 kernel install
    By 3p0cHx in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-14-2004, 07:19 PM
  5. webmin is working on Knoppix HD
    By De Vince in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2003, 11:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



Dell PowerVault MD3000i AMP01 Storage Array 4x Cad 2x PSUs No HDDs/Controllers picture

Dell PowerVault MD3000i AMP01 Storage Array 4x Cad 2x PSUs No HDDs/Controllers

$164.95



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



IBM 57CE 00MA081 12Gb Pcie3, Quad Port 6/gbs Cache Raid SAS Adapter FRU# 00MA079 picture

IBM 57CE 00MA081 12Gb Pcie3, Quad Port 6/gbs Cache Raid SAS Adapter FRU# 00MA079

$175.14



Cisco UCSB-MRAID12G FlexStorage 12G SAS Raid Controller picture

Cisco UCSB-MRAID12G FlexStorage 12G SAS Raid Controller

$23.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$22.99



HP controller P3410-69003 NetRAID-1M SCSI 64-bit U160 32MB Cache (PCI) picture

HP controller P3410-69003 NetRAID-1M SCSI 64-bit U160 32MB Cache (PCI)

$359.00



BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller picture

BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller

$714.99