Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Deleting files to make room for new Knoppix ISO Image

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    13

    Deleting files to make room for new Knoppix ISO Image

    Hi,

    What I want to be able to do is to download the new Knoppix ISO image on my Linux box and burn it with K3b.
    The trouble is, I'm about 20MB short on my hard drive.
    I''ve already reduced my swap file to 128MB, and I don't want to go any smaller than that, even though it is rarely being used by the kernel.

    What I'd like to do is delete OpenOffice from my current version of Knoppix since it runs slower than death on my computer anyway (I use K Office). This way I could open up a sizable chunk of room on my hard drive. Can someone help me?

    On a related note, will Linux download managers resume downloads? Which download manager should I be using under Knoppix (Debian)?

    Thank you in advance for your advice.

    For the Penguin....By the Penguin.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Deleting files to make room for new Knoppix ISO Image

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnu Penguin
    What I'd like to do is delete OpenOffice from my current version of Knoppix since it runs slower than death on my computer anyway (I use K Office). This way I could open up a sizable chunk of room on my hard drive. Can someone help me?
    apt-get remove --purge openoffice-de-en
    On a related note, will Linux download managers resume downloads? Which download manager should I be using under Knoppix (Debian)?

    Thank you in advance for your advice.

    For the Penguin....By the Penguin.
    You can use Kget it supports pause and resuming of downloads and it intergrates with Konqueror and other browsers I think for downloads it works perfectly for me.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    13
    Actually, I had more room than I thought. (770 MB)

    Though it's gonna be tight, I can hopefully download the new ISO without deleting anything. and burn it right from Knoppix.
    Thanks for the info on Kget. Does this work with Mozilla, or just with Konquerer? Anyhoo, I'll give it a shot.

    Thanks again.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --You should seriously consider buying a secondary HD (preferably larger than the one you have now.) At the very least you can use it for backups.

    --Anyway, for a command-line utility that can resume downloads:
    ' wget -t0 -c URL '

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnu Penguin
    Actually, I had more room than I thought. (770 MB)

    Though it's gonna be tight, I can hopefully download the new ISO without deleting anything. and burn it right from Knoppix.
    Thanks for the info on Kget. Does this work with Mozilla, or just with Konquerer? Anyhoo, I'll give it a shot.

    Thanks again.

Similar Threads

  1. dd to make image of CD-- OK while mounted?
    By Lucky Daniel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-11-2005, 03:55 AM
  2. Deleting Files/Dirs on NTFS Partition using Knoppix 3.7
    By Tiepo in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 06:23 AM
  3. Deleting files on NTFS volume
    By frishert in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-23-2003, 11:11 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-17-2003, 03:07 PM
  5. deleting files
    By Dinant in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-07-2003, 08:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


DEC Digital DECmate III PC238 PDP-8 6120 RX50 Dual Floppy Vintage Computer picture

DEC Digital DECmate III PC238 PDP-8 6120 RX50 Dual Floppy Vintage Computer

$649.95



Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$109.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts

$59.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation

$79.95



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC Digital VR319-DA 19

Vintage DEC Digital VR319-DA 19" High Resolution Monochrome CRT Monitor - Tested

$180.00



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99