Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: cannot mount hda2 ?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3

    cannot mount hda2 ?

    forgive me if this is redundant, but I discovered a 70.5mb partition on my hd, but when I try to mount it, I get this message:

    /dev/hda2: Invalid argument
    mount: I could not determine the filesystem and none was specified.

    I'm rather new at Linux, so I don't have a clue what to do...
    I would like to use this partition to save this and that to drive

    my other os is win98se on a compaq deskpro... old school

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I suspect that 70M partition in the BIOS for your Compaq. They had a flash of brilliance when they came up with that idea. I would be very hesitant to do anything to that partition or you may find yourself with an unbootable machine.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3

    loud and clear

    Yeah, I think I'll just be patient and save my pennies for a memory stick.

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5
    If it's the Compaq Diagnostic partition, then it's a FAT16 partition.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3
    Well, according to the ranish partition manager, it's an unused primary partition.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    I suspect that 70M partition in the BIOS for your Compaq. They had a flash of brilliance when they came up with that idea. I would be very hesitant to do anything to that partition or you may find yourself with an unbootable machine.
    So that's what that extra partition is on all my new WINXP PCs! OMG!!

    I have such a partition that comes up as hda1. Then a 10GB partition for WINXP (hda2) and then another 10GB partition (hda5) that was set aside for me to play....

    Thanx for the head's up!!!

    Regards,

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    I suspect that 70M partition in the BIOS for your Compaq. They had a flash of brilliance when they came up with that idea. I would be very hesitant to do anything to that partition or you may find yourself with an unbootable machine.
    So that's what that extra partition is on all my new WINXP PCs! OMG!!

    I have such a partition that comes up as hda1. Then a 10GB partition for WINXP (hda2) and then another 10GB partition (hda5) that was set aside for me to play....

    Thanx for the head's up!!!

    Regards,
    I learned the hard way. If you wish to buy the restore disc for your machine they are $20. There is no guarantee that it will work either AFAIK. So..to get win2k installed, on a laptop w/ either cdrom or floppy drive only I basically copied a creatively edited win98 boot floppy image to the hdd. then booted the win2k disc.
    Perhaps a network install or even putting the drive in another machine would work equally well. It's unfortunate that they still choose to make their machines this way.

Similar Threads

  1. Can-t write nothing on mnt/hda2
    By camicio in forum General Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-05-2007, 08:09 AM
  2. looking to mount USB CD rom
    By maestrobwh1 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-08-2005, 11:47 PM
  3. Win XP Machine- Trying to Access /mnt/hda2/Program Files
    By jtaugher in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 04:55 PM
  4. ftp: accessing hda2 issues. can only see ramdrive
    By easement in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-20-2003, 02:48 AM
  5. Mount ISO
    By lindleyrl in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2003, 06:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage IBM XT 5160 PC Computer 640KB RAM with Expansions (Powers On As Is) picture

Vintage IBM XT 5160 PC Computer 640KB RAM with Expansions (Powers On As Is)

$350.00



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$157.30



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



2 x Vintage IBM Mainframe Computer Card - Circuit Board picture

2 x Vintage IBM Mainframe Computer Card - Circuit Board

$49.99



Vintage 1977 IBM System/360 Punch Card Program Archive SimSci SSI RPG Mainframe picture

Vintage 1977 IBM System/360 Punch Card Program Archive SimSci SSI RPG Mainframe

$449.99



LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold picture

LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold

$749.99



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



VINTAGE Artecon LX-1558FN HDD EOD SubSystem Mainframe POWERS ON RARE picture

VINTAGE Artecon LX-1558FN HDD EOD SubSystem Mainframe POWERS ON RARE

$299.99



Dit-Mco 730 770 Series Main Frame Circuit Analyzer Schematic Presentation Handle picture

Dit-Mco 730 770 Series Main Frame Circuit Analyzer Schematic Presentation Handle

$133.83