-
Loper said:
Which brand? Dell machines are known to have an NVRAM configuration problem. All you need to do in this case is unplug the machine from the wall and press-and-hold the power switch for about ten seconds.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
*****...I fear that all my machines since the XT have been of the generic "IBM compatible- whatever's in the box brand". I never felt I could afford branded machines. 8-( The last branded machine I owned had "Commodore 64" on it. 
...I tried the power switch thing with no result .
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Arkaine23 sed:
That's very odd, since knoppix doesn't touch your hard drives unless you tell it to.
But to fix the problem, I'd suggest booting your windows CD and choosing to go to the recovery console. Run the commands:
fixmbr
fixboot
------------------------------------------------------------------------
... Sadly, the Windows CD will not boot. I always get the "Windows protection error"! The only way I can get into the machine at all is via a start-up disk and XP does not allow you to make an XP start-up disk so I have to use a 98 or ME startup floppy and then I suppose Windows does not like the different version and won't play ball!
... I cannot re-install windows from DOS, ("This program can not be run in DOS mode") and I can't get into Windows at all or I would just re-install!
...Actually, I tried Knoppix on this other machine too , (also a generic), and all went well except that it would not recognize my mouse (either serial or wireless), although there is no problem on the other machine that still boots Knoppix without problems, but seemingly disables the CD drive as soon as it loads!
... I've tried to install about four versions of Linux over the years and all of them asked too many questions that I did not have answers for!
...I thought that perhaps Knoppix, since it runs directly from the CD was my salvation, but I guess that I'm not nerdy enough for it either! Duh....
I suppose eventually someone will sell me a hard drive with Linux pre-installed and I can say good-bye to rich Bill forever! 
...Thanks for your assistance anyway fellows!
Frank Halliwell E-mail- [email protected]
Homepage at http://home.pacific.net.au/~rhymer/
Similar Threads
-
By Zerro in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-02-2004, 04:31 PM
-
By ck_lee in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-16-2004, 04:10 PM
-
By fasttech in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-29-2004, 10:02 AM
-
By hewittcw in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-16-2003, 08:43 PM
-
By timmd in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-18-2002, 12:54 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$488.00

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710
$349.99

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99