Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Future Power LCD Monitor

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    50

    Future Power LCD Monitor

    Hi, I am a very noobe at this so please help. I installed the Sept. 5 Knoppix onto the hard drive of an old Compaq Desktop with SIS 530 onboard video. And everything went very well. The only problem I am having is the image on my monitor is shifted over about 2/3 of an inch. I use a KVM to switch between 2 computers onr running XP Pro and the other Knoppix. The XP Pro image is centered. If I use the monitor controls to move the Knoppix image over than XP is off center. Is there anything else I can do?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: Future Power LCD Monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by dave52355
    Hi, I am a very noobe at this so please help. I installed the Sept. 5 Knoppix onto the hard drive of an old Compaq Desktop with SIS 530 onboard video. And everything went very well. The only problem I am having is the image on my monitor is shifted over about 2/3 of an inch. I use a KVM to switch between 2 computers onr running XP Pro and the other Knoppix. The XP Pro image is centered. If I use the monitor controls to move the Knoppix image over than XP is off center. Is there anything else I can do?

    Thanks
    Sorry, but I don't think there's much that can be done about this except for adjusting the horizontal and vertical settings on the monitor itself. In order to get both of them fully on the screen, one may have to be reduced a bit.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    50
    Whats interesting is when I run from CD, I do not have this problem.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    I've had that problem too, and was unable to fix it. Now I have a new monitor & videocard, so the problem's gone. But - there is a way wich may work - in winblows, I guess your videocard-drivers allow you to manually move the screen. so - under linux, move the screen with the monitor-menu until its how you like it. Then boot in windows, and use the driver to move it back. Now you dont have to do anything about it anymore...

    btw suselinux offered the option to move (and resize) the screen when installing it, so it IS possible. Maybe there is some tool, but I dont know where to find it.

    Kxconfig helped me alot with some settings, you might try it too.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199

    Re: Future Power LCD Monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by dave52355
    I installed the Sept. 5 Knoppix onto the hard drive of an old Compaq Desktop with SiS 530 onboard video. And everything went very well. The only problem I am having is the image on my monitor is shifted over about 2/3 of an inch... The XP Pro image is centered. If I use the monitor controls to move the Knoppix image over than XP is off center. Is there anything else I can do?
    The easiest thing to do is to choose a different vertical-refresh rate from one environment to the other. You could choose 85 Hz for XP and 75 Hz for Knoppix, for example. That way, the monitor switches modes between the two and keeps its adjustments straight (85 Hz is generally preferred, but 75 Hz is a good fit for the SiS 530 chipset--I have the 620, same video).

    This is also why it's OK from CD and not from HD. From CD, different default refresh rates. From HD, same default refresh, hence conflicts.

    The following information does not apply to LCD users as much as to CRTs, but is provided for reference. If you are a power user in Windows, you could download PowerStrip from http://www.EntechTaiwan.com, an excellent tool for tweaking Windows scan rates; that way, Windows could be, say, 84 Hz and Linux 85 Hz. Most newer monitors can handle arbitrary scan rates and would see these as different, even at the same resolution. The MultiRes utility, from the same source, is good for on-the-fly resolution switching under Windows.

    SuSE's YaST2 does have a centering tool, so I know that it's possible; I have been looking for a non-distro-speciic one for X since I saw it, still looking.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -- Michael Rudas
    Metro Detroit Linux Users' Group: http://www.MDLUG.org
    PengiuCon 2.0, April 2004: http://www.PenguiCon.org

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199

    Re: Future Power LCD Monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by Loper
    SuSE's YaST2 does have a centering tool, so I know that it's possible; I have been looking for a non-distro-speciic one for X since I saw it, still looking.
    I found it--XVidTune--and it's part of Knoppix. It runs from the command line. I'm not sure how to get it to write to the config file (or even if it can), but it can be used interactively do some video tuning. At the very least, it returns numbers that could be edited into the config file.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -- Michael Rudas
    Metro Detroit Linux Users' Group: http://www.MDLUG.org
    PengiuCon 2.0, April 2004: http://www.PenguiCon.org

Similar Threads

  1. The future of klik: GPL
    By probono in forum Ideas
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 04-12-2004, 02:33 AM
  2. For Future Reference: Successful XP - Knoppix Dual Boot
    By Wil in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-17-2003, 11:34 PM
  3. Problemas al Instalar monitor , Installing Monitor
    By comanam in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 07:37 PM
  4. Display off 1/4 inch with Future Power 5E and SIS 530 Video
    By dave52355 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-12-2003, 09:39 AM
  5. Wishlist for next or some future release
    By Sergio1704 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-15-2003, 02:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 14are05 14

Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 14are05 14" Ryzen 7 4700U 2.0GHz 8GB RAM 256GB

$175.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.6

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.6" Full HD Laptop - Intel Processor N355 2025- 8G...

$349.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good

$261.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...

$679.99



Lenovo Thinkpad T590 Gen1 8th Core i7 32GB 512GB Touchscreen RJ45 Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo Thinkpad T590 Gen1 8th Core i7 32GB 512GB Touchscreen RJ45 Win 11 Pro

$339.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11

$229.99