Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: LILO: Get rid of it to install GRUB

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5

    LILO: Get rid of it to install GRUB

    Hi there!

    My first post after registration!

    I've been looking around for quite a while, but haven't found a suitable answer.

    I am using a floppy-less Samsung X10 Centrino Laptop, where the best distro I've installed so far is Knoppix 3.2.

    My problem is:

    I do NOT want to use LILO, but the installation programme only offers this choice.

    I've run

    grub-install /dev/hda

    and created a grub.conf file with the following lines

    default=0
    timeout=10

    title Knoppix 3.2
    root (hd0,6)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-xfs ro
    initrd /boot/initrd.gz

    title Windows XP Professional SP1
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

    After rebooting, the system doesn't start: it just goes into the grub prompt.

    What is wrong and / or what is missing in the previous grub.conf setup?.

    Regards,

    Arthur

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5
    I forgot to include the following

    40 GB HD

    1.5 GB Win98
    5.0 GB Win XP Pro NTFS
    10 GB Data (shared Win$ & LINUX)

    5.5 GB ext3 KNOPPIX 3.2 (hda7)
    600 MB swap

    GRUB would then look for the kernel in

    (hd0,6)

    Can anyone help?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    I dont know much 'bout grub, acutally I'd like to know it too, I guess you can better google it... tell us if you found out

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    you got the prompt it means it starts, just can't find the menu file. Try this at the GRUB prompt :

    root (hd0,0)
    configfile /<your grub.conf path>

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    There are a couple of HOWTOs which touch on all this. But I'm interested in how well Knoppix works with a Centrino device.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5
    Hi!

    How well does Knoppix work with a Centrino laptop?.

    So far, the best distro

    I've installed / tried to install

    Red Hat 9.0 Second best
    LinEx 3.0 r1
    Mandrake 9.1
    SuSE 8.1 Pro
    Lycoris Amethyst Build 46
    Gentoo 1.4 (stage 3)

    KNOPPIX 3.2 is Debian after a HDD install, and it works almost perfectly (which is quite a lot to say except for the horrific LILO startup screen).

Similar Threads

  1. How can I install Knoppix without installing Lilo or Grub?
    By Mustang64 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-18-2005, 12:32 PM
  2. Grub of Lilo for 3.7?
    By nhoxanh in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-13-2005, 10:43 AM
  3. HD install, LILO to GRUB conversion, boot error message.
    By ocean in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-01-2004, 01:26 PM
  4. Lilo loader failed to install...now how to load from GRUB>
    By nxumdon in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 03:38 AM
  5. how to set up lilo of grub..
    By jamesgf in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-27-2003, 05:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



JUNIPER QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48x 10/25GbE SFP28 8x 40/100GbE Network Switch Dual PSU picture

JUNIPER QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48x 10/25GbE SFP28 8x 40/100GbE Network Switch Dual PSU

$6998.00



Juniper Networks QFX-SFP-DAC-7MA to Brocade (Formerly) XBR-TWX-0701 Comp TAA picture

Juniper Networks QFX-SFP-DAC-7MA to Brocade (Formerly) XBR-TWX-0701 Comp TAA

$196.99



Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99 picture

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99

$24.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99