I forgot to include the following
40 GB HD
1.5 GB Win98
5.0 GB Win XP Pro NTFS
10 GB Data (shared Win$ & LINUX)
5.5 GB ext3 KNOPPIX 3.2 (hda7)
600 MB swap
GRUB would then look for the kernel in
(hd0,6)
Can anyone help?
Hi there!
My first post after registration!
I've been looking around for quite a while, but haven't found a suitable answer.
I am using a floppy-less Samsung X10 Centrino Laptop, where the best distro I've installed so far is Knoppix 3.2.
My problem is:
I do NOT want to use LILO, but the installation programme only offers this choice.
I've run
grub-install /dev/hda
and created a grub.conf file with the following lines
default=0
timeout=10
title Knoppix 3.2
root (hd0,6)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-xfs ro
initrd /boot/initrd.gz
title Windows XP Professional SP1
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
After rebooting, the system doesn't start: it just goes into the grub prompt.
What is wrong and / or what is missing in the previous grub.conf setup?.
Regards,
Arthur![]()
![]()
![]()
I forgot to include the following
40 GB HD
1.5 GB Win98
5.0 GB Win XP Pro NTFS
10 GB Data (shared Win$ & LINUX)
5.5 GB ext3 KNOPPIX 3.2 (hda7)
600 MB swap
GRUB would then look for the kernel in
(hd0,6)
Can anyone help?
I dont know much 'bout grub, acutally I'd like to know it too, I guess you can better google it... tell us if you found out![]()
you got the prompt it means it starts, just can't find the menu file. Try this at the GRUB prompt :
root (hd0,0)
configfile /<your grub.conf path>
There are a couple of HOWTOs which touch on all this. But I'm interested in how well Knoppix works with a Centrino device.
Hi!
How well does Knoppix work with a Centrino laptop?.
So far, the best distro![]()
![]()
I've installed / tried to install
Red Hat 9.0 Second best
LinEx 3.0 r1
Mandrake 9.1
SuSE 8.1 Pro
Lycoris Amethyst Build 46
Gentoo 1.4 (stage 3)
KNOPPIX 3.2 is Debian after a HDD install, and it works almost perfectly (which is quite a lot to say except for the horrific LILO startup screen).

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.50
Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00
TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98
USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75
128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00
One Lot of 50 SK Hynix 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P ECC RAM HMA42GR7MFR4N-TF Server
$2599.00
Lot of 50 Mixed Brands RAM Memory 4GB SODIMM DDR4
$691.59
Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$378.00
HYNIX HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK 32GB PC4-2666V 2RX4 RDIMM MEMORY HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK
$189.99