Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Install Problems

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3

    Install Problems

    Hi
    I have tried to install Knoppix on my hd. The sytem is:
    HD1 40gig XP installed
    HD2 120gig (Fat32)

    I then formated HD2 with partition magic to give 3.0gig linux (hda5) and and 2.0 gig swap (hda6) and tried to install Knoppix.

    Booted up from CD
    Brought up console
    typed in "knx-hdinstall"
    Got 2 screens in German (no idea what they said but accepted both) then nothing happens. Any ideas would be appreciated

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Install Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by rasc
    Hi
    I have tried to install Knoppix on my hd. The sytem is:
    HD1 40gig XP installed
    HD2 120gig (Fat32)

    I then formated HD2 with partition magic to give 3.0gig linux (hda5) and and 2.0 gig swap (hda6) and tried to install Knoppix.
    Partition Magic does formatting too? IIRC 3G is a bit small. Maybe try a 4G partition at least. Knoppix has qtparted- a graphical partitioner that is not only open source but it hasn't borked any hdd's that I know of. I can't say the same for PM.

    Booted up from CD
    Brought up console
    typed in "knx-hdinstall"
    The newer versions of Knoppix have a new script knoppix-installer- you might like it better. Remember to run the installer as root!

    Got 2 screens in German (no idea what they said but accepted both) then nothing happens. Any ideas would be appreciated
    Did you download the English .iso? They are labled 'en' and 'de'. Also- make sure you boot with lang=us

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3
    Well I booted up with:
    lang=us

    and

    lang=en

    And I still get the screens coming up in German. Although when Knoppix runs from the cd the language is English. I only get the German once I press Ctl+Alt+F1 get to "root" type in "knx-hdinstall " I then accept the two screens (in German) and then nothing happens it just hangs?

    I then tried:

    knoppix lang=us 2
    knx-hdinstall

    and still it hangs

    Ah well maybe try time somthing else.......

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    If you have a newer version there is an improved installer. You can just open a terminal and entersudo knoppix-installer. Or, if you have an older version then you can still just open a terminal and do sudo knx-hdinstall. Still tho- make sure you have the english version.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    If you have a newer version there is an improved installer. You can just open a terminal and entersudo knoppix-installer. Or, if you have an older version then you can still just open a terminal and do sudo knx-hdinstall. Still tho- make sure you have the english version.
    Okay rickenbacherus I will try the two ways quoted above. I did not know about those command lines only the ones I quoted in previous posts.
    I am pretty sure that the version is english as I live in the UK (Scotlandthe land of limited broadband / cable) and got the iso of a local mag. Anyhoo will try your advice tonight when I get home and will let you know how I got on.

    Once again thanks for the advice and help it's much appreciated....

Similar Threads

  1. Install problems please help!
    By adamherb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 02:06 AM
  2. KDE problems after HDD install
    By dragonlord in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 05:22 AM
  3. HD install problems
    By toe_jack in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 06:04 AM
  4. Problems after HDD install
    By MrC in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-14-2004, 11:35 AM
  5. Hdd Install problems
    By Ekj530 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-07-2003, 09:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2022 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key& picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2022 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key&

$69.90



Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T Server Motherboard AMD EPYC 7003 (with AMD 3D V-Cache Tech picture

Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T Server Motherboard AMD EPYC 7003 (with AMD 3D V-Cache Tech

$747.99