-
DVD playing problems
I'm posting this here because nobody seems to have an answer
My Desknote 901A notebook contains an IDE Matshita DVD-ROM SR-8176 MR38 drive. I used the Rpcmgr program from here to set the region code to 1 (I don't plan on buying many DVDs thanks to region coding). /dev/dvd is a symlink to /dev/cdrom which is a symlink to /dev/hdc. The permissions on /dev/hdc are set like this:
brw-rw-rw- 1 root disk 22, 0 2001-04-14 17:43 /dev/hdc
The following relevant packages are installed:
ii liba52-0.7.4 0.7.4-1 Library for decoding ATSC A/52 streams.
ii libdvdcss2 1.2.5-0.2 Simple foundation for reading DVDs - runtime
ii libdvdnav1 0.1.3-1.2 The DVD navigation library
ii libdvdplay0 1.0.1-5 a portable abstraction library for DVD menus
ii libdvdread2 0.9.3-2 Simple foundation for reading DVDs.
ii libdvdread3 0.9.4-3 Simple foundation for reading DVDs
I'm able to mount the drive fine and can even open the .vob files and play them but it doesn't play well at all even though my processor is plenty fast. When I try to play the DVD using Xine, Ogle, and others I get error messages like this:
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.5 for DVD access
libdvdread: Can't seek to block 256
libdvdread: Can't seek to block 256
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
With MPlayer I get errors like this:
gmplayer dvd://1
.
.
.
Playing dvd://1
Reading disc structure, please wait...
libdvdread: Can't seek to block 256
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
Can't open VMG info!
I'm out of ideas aside from flashing the firmware on the DVD-ROM but can't imagine that would even accomplish anything. Is there something I'm missing? I'm totally out of ideas. Google has provided some leads, but nothing that has worked. The DVD disc works fine in other players so that isn't the problem. Any suggestions and ideas would be appreciated.
Similar Threads
-
By asearle in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-16-2005, 12:15 PM
-
By jjman123 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-13-2004, 11:31 PM
-
By rrfish72 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-05-2004, 12:04 AM
-
By DimGR in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 7
Last Post: 08-01-2004, 02:42 PM
-
By Lando in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-01-2003, 10:37 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

Lot of 12 Non-Working Samsung Galaxy Tablets with BAD LCD for Parts
$381.38

Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 10.5" Tablet SM-X200 (Gray 32GB) Wifi CRACKED
$41.93

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1
$60.00

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM
$99.99

Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E4T0B/AM)
$310.00

Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE 5G SM-T738U 12.4" Tablet Gray 64GB T-Mobile CRACKED
$82.68