Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: xfree delay when switched from console, laptop framebuffer

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5

    xfree delay when switched from console, laptop framebuffer

    Hi,

    PROBLEM: when I switch to X from a console terminal (typically Alt+F7) the screen is freezing for about 10 seconds, rather too long.

    CONFIG: laptop acer travelmate 800lci + USB wheel mouse, Knoppix 3.2 2003-09-05, original XFConfig-4

    thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    10 seconds is rather long, but at my compu its also some 3-4 secs. so I dont think its really strange...

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5
    I know I could just limit myself to using xterm and/or screen to avoid this delay, but I find it sometimes comfortable to work in a few console terminals, switching with Alt + arrow keys. But pressing those arrow keys too quickly (or without enough attention) may lead to X and then I'm stuck for another 10 seconds, not 3 or 7... 10 seconds.

    Yet I find it strange and uncomfortable.

    So anyone has an idea about the problem ?
    Could it be some kind of hardware polling ?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    well, I guess the resolution in X is different from the console-resolution, and your laptop might be slow switching resolutions...

    Or X is just extremely slow, you might try some other distro's, check wether it is knoppix-only (and should be fixed).

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: xfree delay when switched from console, laptop framebuff

    1. How much RAM do you have
    2. Do you have a swap partition or file enabled
    3. Have you tried a lighter windowmanager like icewm to see if the problem remains?

    Quote Originally Posted by knu
    Hi,

    PROBLEM: when I switch to X from a console terminal (typically Alt+F7) the screen is freezing for about 10 seconds, rather too long.

    CONFIG: laptop acer travelmate 800lci + USB wheel mouse, Knoppix 3.2 2003-09-05, original XFConfig-4

    thanks

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5
    16MB ram, noswap and enlightment3D... :)
    No, it's not a "low on resources" problem.

    I'm not used to framebuffer, I'll read a doc about it.
    And another LiveCD distribution could be helpfull to make a quick test.

    FYI, the travelmate comes with 512MB ram, I created a 800MB+ swap (on) and I even managed to kill the winmanager.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Geez, you almost had me there!

    --I have a Dell Latitude with P166MMX, 128Meg +168M swap and fb800x600, switching to "text" mode is pretty quick. Maybe it's the FB driver for your video card.

    --Have you tried running ' nice top -d 10 ' to see if anything running in the BG is chewing up CPU?

    --Note, if I boot w/o framebuffer on the P166 the text mode goes off the screen; but have you tried booting yours with SVGA and screen= cheatcodes to see if you can get around the framebugger? (I *live* in text mode so fb is the only reasonable way on that laptop unless I attach an external monitor, but perhaps your needs are different.)

    Quote Originally Posted by knu
    16MB ram, noswap and enlightment3D...
    No, it's not a "low on resources" problem.

    I'm not used to framebuffer, I'll read a doc about it.
    And another LiveCD distribution could be helpfull to make a quick test.

    FYI, the travelmate comes with 512MB ram, I created a 800MB+ swap (on) and I even managed to kill the winmanager.

Similar Threads

  1. ssh login delay
    By dhaddox in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-11-2005, 11:19 PM
  2. xfree disaster!!!
    By tonycooles in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-17-2004, 07:06 PM
  3. framebuffer-problem after hdd-install on Toshiba Laptop
    By mkjtravel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 03:16 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-11-2003, 03:06 PM
  5. APIC Delay on 2003.01.20 release
    By Pewe in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2003, 09:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



New Dell PowerEdge Server R360 Xeon E-2488 3.2G 16GB RAM 4X800GB SSD 6x600GB SAS picture

New Dell PowerEdge Server R360 Xeon E-2488 3.2G 16GB RAM 4X800GB SSD 6x600GB SAS

$3890.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$381.93



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95



NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE R730 SERVER M48YR RXW6R K98XH picture

NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE R730 SERVER M48YR RXW6R K98XH

$225.00