Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Installing with apt-get on ramdisk

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro / Brazil
    Posts
    27

    Installing with apt-get on ramdisk

    Hi all,

    I'm using the last version of Knoppix with the new option toram and
    I'm very happy with it

    I'd like now use apt-get to install new programs on the ramdisk

    Copying

    /KNOPPIX/var/lib/apt
    /KNOPPIX/var/lib/dpkg
    /KNOPPIX/var/cache/apt
    /KNOPPIX/usr/local

    to /ramdisk and linking

    /var/lib/apt
    /var/lib/dpkg
    /var/cache/apt
    /var/usr/local

    to there I could finally do apt-get update

    but when doing apt-get install something it does this to /usr by default

    how can I force it to install in /usr/local ?

    (sorry for my english)

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    not an easy task. This has nothing to do with KNOPPIX but debian. As far as I know, the debian package contains files to would be 'unpacked' into various location at the package maintainer's choice then run some scripts for the configuration(creating more files in /etc, /var ...). Debian doesn't follow the convention of local installed programs go to /usr/local.

    I don't know if this is controllable as I am still struggling with apt-get/dpkg after 6 months or so.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Esquipulas, Oax. México
    Posts
    19
    But why install programs to the ramdisk? Won't they disappear again?
    The way I do it. I chroot to the place where KNOPPIX is and I can use apt-get without changing anything.

    As henrique pointed out, your wanting to change where Debian installs programs, that should be asked in linux.debian.user because it is a Debian issue and has nothing to do with Knoppix.

    Regards,

    Hugo.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Have a look at fabianX's scripts. I think what he does is install by compiling the source code and directing it files to a location in the ramdisk, rather than using apt-get binaries.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro / Brazil
    Posts
    27
    Where can I find it please ?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Use the search function. There's ati and nvidia 3d driver install on demand scripts, also f-prot (virus scanner), ogle (dvd player), and a few others I think....

Similar Threads

  1. ramdisk
    By sampo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-06-2005, 12:23 AM
  2. /ramdisk
    By joshuabok in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-01-2004, 05:55 PM
  3. How to copy k3b to ramdisk?
    By Knoppixerin in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2004, 01:57 PM
  4. How to get rid of the ramdisk /dev/shm?
    By glukorizon in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-05-2003, 08:48 PM
  5. Ramdisk failure
    By Nedly in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-05-2003, 02:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage North Star Horizon 5.25” Software Lot FORTH Pascal FinalWord Cranston picture

Vintage North Star Horizon 5.25” Software Lot FORTH Pascal FinalWord Cranston

$199.95



IBM 3270 Keyboard Beam Spring - With Manual - Vintage Rare Beamspring picture

IBM 3270 Keyboard Beam Spring - With Manual - Vintage Rare Beamspring

$3000.00



Vintage Epson Apex Plus AP3001A Dual 360K Disk Drives PC w/ Epson Apex Keyboard  picture

Vintage Epson Apex Plus AP3001A Dual 360K Disk Drives PC w/ Epson Apex Keyboard

$249.95



Compaq Presario 5BW284: Intel Pentium III, 40GB HD, 256MB Ram [Windows 98SE] picture

Compaq Presario 5BW284: Intel Pentium III, 40GB HD, 256MB Ram [Windows 98SE]

$169.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage IBM Aptiva E Series Beige Desktop Computer Case Only 1998 picture

Vintage IBM Aptiva E Series Beige Desktop Computer Case Only 1998

$74.99



Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI picture

Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI

$150.00



Huge Lot of 20+ Vintage Akai MIDI Floppy Disks picture

Huge Lot of 20+ Vintage Akai MIDI Floppy Disks

$399.99



Vintage Core CL9 Master Universal Remote Control Steve Wozniak (Apple) READ picture

Vintage Core CL9 Master Universal Remote Control Steve Wozniak (Apple) READ

$988.88



Vintage Retro Cyrix 6x86 133mhz 32mb RAM Floppy Combo picture

Vintage Retro Cyrix 6x86 133mhz 32mb RAM Floppy Combo

$299.00