Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Installing with apt-get on ramdisk

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro / Brazil
    Posts
    27

    Installing with apt-get on ramdisk

    Hi all,

    I'm using the last version of Knoppix with the new option toram and
    I'm very happy with it

    I'd like now use apt-get to install new programs on the ramdisk

    Copying

    /KNOPPIX/var/lib/apt
    /KNOPPIX/var/lib/dpkg
    /KNOPPIX/var/cache/apt
    /KNOPPIX/usr/local

    to /ramdisk and linking

    /var/lib/apt
    /var/lib/dpkg
    /var/cache/apt
    /var/usr/local

    to there I could finally do apt-get update

    but when doing apt-get install something it does this to /usr by default

    how can I force it to install in /usr/local ?

    (sorry for my english)

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    not an easy task. This has nothing to do with KNOPPIX but debian. As far as I know, the debian package contains files to would be 'unpacked' into various location at the package maintainer's choice then run some scripts for the configuration(creating more files in /etc, /var ...). Debian doesn't follow the convention of local installed programs go to /usr/local.

    I don't know if this is controllable as I am still struggling with apt-get/dpkg after 6 months or so.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Esquipulas, Oax. México
    Posts
    19
    But why install programs to the ramdisk? Won't they disappear again?
    The way I do it. I chroot to the place where KNOPPIX is and I can use apt-get without changing anything.

    As henrique pointed out, your wanting to change where Debian installs programs, that should be asked in linux.debian.user because it is a Debian issue and has nothing to do with Knoppix.

    Regards,

    Hugo.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Have a look at fabianX's scripts. I think what he does is install by compiling the source code and directing it files to a location in the ramdisk, rather than using apt-get binaries.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro / Brazil
    Posts
    27
    Where can I find it please ?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Use the search function. There's ati and nvidia 3d driver install on demand scripts, also f-prot (virus scanner), ogle (dvd player), and a few others I think....

Similar Threads

  1. ramdisk
    By sampo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-06-2005, 12:23 AM
  2. /ramdisk
    By joshuabok in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-01-2004, 05:55 PM
  3. How to copy k3b to ramdisk?
    By Knoppixerin in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2004, 01:57 PM
  4. How to get rid of the ramdisk /dev/shm?
    By glukorizon in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-05-2003, 08:48 PM
  5. Ramdisk failure
    By Nedly in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-05-2003, 02:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller picture

BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller

$739.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives

$149.95



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US picture

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US

$29.88



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00



9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US picture

9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US

$49.50