Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Using a "non-supported" window manager

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4

    Using a "non-supported" window manager

    I'm attempting to remaster a Knoppix disk and use a window manager that's not in the "supported" windows manager list, i.e. one that isn't listed in the case statement in knoppix-autoconfig. If I try to enter something other than what's in that list, I get a message that says that window manager is unsupported and it's using twm instead. What script sets the window manager after knoppix-autoconfig sets the $DESKTOP variable? Do I need to modify this script or can I simply set up a .Xsession file somewhere on the disk? Thanks everyone for your help.

    Matt

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Esquipulas, Oax. México
    Posts
    19
    This was posted someplace before, anyway, I use fvwm, which is not around. So I apt-getted fvwm (using the remastering techniques) and then I changed /etc/sysconfig/desktop to read "wmmaker" and the script /cdrom/KNOPPIX/etc/X11/xsession.d/45xsession to read
    "exec fvwm2" at line 512, where he starts wmmaker. That way I got fvwm and everything worked.
    If I did "startx /usr/bin/fvwm" from the commandline using "2" I also got fvwm but you could not invoke mozilla from it. Nobody ever answered my query as to why not.
    Also I am not using Knoppix's ways to find the best screen size. It is better to use "XFree86 -configure" in knoppix.sh and then use that XF86Config-4 config file

    Hope this helps.

    Hugo.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4
    Thanks, Hugo. That did the trick.

Similar Threads

  1. Konqueror or emacs as Root from a "su"-bash window
    By cumulus in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 09:47 AM
  2. "No supported Network Card Found"
    By rayesteq in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-2004, 04:47 PM
  3. "No supported Network Cards Found"
    By Angryguy in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-12-2003, 01:48 AM
  4. "Connection Reset by Peer" or "hang"
    By oreo in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-23-2003, 06:33 PM
  5. (Video) "Mode not supported"
    By logiker in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-11-2003, 06:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$62.95



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHz Quad-Core LGA1150 SR1QF CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHz Quad-Core LGA1150 SR1QF CPU Processor

$39.99



Intel Core i7-6700 LGA 1151 3.4 GHz 8 GT/s Desktop CPU Processor SR2L2 picture

Intel Core i7-6700 LGA 1151 3.4 GHz 8 GT/s Desktop CPU Processor SR2L2

$29.99



Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD

$27.99