Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: How to install OS

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4

    How to install OS

    Sorry if this is a highly simple question, but I'm missing something.
    I've got a scsi drive, and I've been able to load it, partition it, and format it. Currently it's
    /dev/sda1 Ext2 45 MB
    /dev/sda2 Linux Swap 450 MB
    /dev/sda3 ReiserFS 25Gig
    /dev/sda4 ReiserFS 48Gig

    I figured I could use
    /sda1 for /boot
    /sda2 for swap
    /sda3 for /
    /sda4 for /var

    How do I mount these correct, and install the OS to the hard disk?

    Sorry if this answered in another post, but I can't find it.


    If it is easy as kfx-hdinstall no need to reply.

    Sorry been a long day.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: How to install OS

    --I have no experience with the new installer (it's in /usr/sbin I think) but have some advice for your partition scheme.

    --You can cut down sda1 to as little as 8MB for /boot unless you get really exotic with testing different kernels; even then 16MB should be plenty.

    --You may also want to go the whole route and have partitions for /home (4Gig?) and /usr (8-10Gig?); then / could be something like 500MB.

    --That's a whole lotta /var; you going to be doing a lot of webserving or making a dedicated-log server?

    Quote Originally Posted by veitcha
    Sorry if this is a highly simple question, but I'm missing something.
    I've got a scsi drive, and I've been able to load it, partition it, and format it. Currently it's
    /dev/sda1 Ext2 45 MB
    /dev/sda2 Linux Swap 450 MB
    /dev/sda3 ReiserFS 25Gig
    /dev/sda4 ReiserFS 48Gig

    I figured I could use
    /sda1 for /boot
    /sda2 for swap
    /sda3 for /
    /sda4 for /var

    How do I mount these correct, and install the OS to the hard disk?

    Sorry if this answered in another post, but I can't find it.


    If it is easy as kfx-hdinstall no need to reply.

    Sorry been a long day.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    100
    If it is easy as kfx-hdinstall no need to reply.
    knx-hdinstall would be better

    If you have the 7-26-03 or newer knoppix you might want to try the new "knoppix-installer".They are both included on the cd.On 7-26 (for sure) or newer to get root just say su.On older ones it's sudo su.I dont think your going to be installing on 4 partitions with the included installers.You might want to try hacking the installer and running it from the ramdrive or something but stock either one will just let you use a / and a swap.No need to change to /usr/local/bin or whatever just either boot "knoppix 2" or get root in a term/console and say the installer name.It's in your path.

    So does the installer see your scsi drives?You can also do a manual install like mentioned in the faq located on your cdrom in /KNOPPIX.You should be able to install just to the root and use a swap then move some directories later after install like /var /home /whatever and link them.Tyr this from the DOCS link for example http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...PartitionHowTo

    After install theres a good chance that kde will go german on you.Yhe easiest way to fix this and also free about 180meg will be (for english only in this example) to say apt-get remove kde-i18n* and then apt-get update and then apt-get install localepurge.After that just generate the locales for your language and type localepurge to see how much it freed.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    and using knoppix-installer really makes things easier (at least for me)... Ensure your system is very well configured before you start the installation!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



Microsoft Surface Pro 5 Silver 128GB SSD 4gb RAM picture

Microsoft Surface Pro 5 Silver 128GB SSD 4gb RAM

$97.97



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



Lenovo IdeaPad S340-15IWL Laptop 15.6

Lenovo IdeaPad S340-15IWL Laptop 15.6" Intel Core i3-8145U 8GB RAM 256GB SSD

$126.65



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY picture

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY

$39.99



AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 8-Core 16-Thread 4.6GHz Max Boost, 3.8 GHz Base picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 8-Core 16-Thread 4.6GHz Max Boost, 3.8 GHz Base

$170.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS picture

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS

$259.98



Lenovo ThinkStation P520 Intel Xeon W-2245 8-Core 3.90GHz - NO RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520 Intel Xeon W-2245 8-Core 3.90GHz - NO RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$359.98