-
installing new software on a HD install
I am trying to install the new Divx codec I downloaded the following file
divx4linux-std-20030428.tar.gz and I am trying to figure out how to install it on my system. I have Knoppix installed on the HD.
PLease help I am kinda a newbie at this stuff.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Well start my putting it in a directory (folder) all by itself and then say tar -zxvf *.tar.gz
It should unpack into a second folder where you can say cd new-folder-name and then ls
After that use the "less" command to look over the likely included README and INSTALL docs like less README (for example) leave the "less"command by hitting "q"
It usually goes something like
./configure
make
make install
I dont like to install like that because I like apt/dpkg to manage my system so I apt-got checkinstall.
With checkinstall you have a good chance of building a deb you can later install from that same folder with dpkg -i *.deb
3 steps above are the same but for the last one
./configure
make
checkinstall -D
sometimes you need ./configure --prefix=/usr
sometimes you need to run ./autogen.sh first before you configure.You just need to see the readme docs in that tarball you downloaded.
You might also just want to go to apt-get.org and get the links to fetch mplayer,then add it to your /etc/apt/sources.list and apt-get update then apt-get install mplayer.
hope you dont error on make
Similar Threads
-
By johnsmith01 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-12-2005, 08:47 PM
-
By dale-s in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-22-2004, 08:55 PM
-
By bilal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-17-2004, 09:29 AM
-
By nd_z in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-03-2003, 11:04 PM
-
By fhayashi in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-19-2003, 05:01 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP
$400.00

Yealink SIP Phone T85W
$153.99

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00

Ubiquiti UniFi Talk UVP-Touch VoIP IP Phone PoE Touchscreen Tested Reset
$64.99

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

Ooma Telo VoIP Free Internet Home Phone Service. Certified Refurbished.
$59.99

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99

Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth
$49.95