boot: knoppix testcd
Was able to buy the Linuxtag 2003 DVD from Lehmanns- Berlin. At first sight : nice piece of work!
However was not able to use the DVD just as a Knoppic CD. The DVD boots and everything is normal till the opening screen (in KDE) with ao all the info about the DVD. After a few seconds the screen freezes : keyboard and mouse do't react. The only thing to do is to reset or to shut down. Same problem under Fluxbox : after a few seconds (trying to load Kshisen) I had to shutdown.
Should I blame the DVD-disk or my DVD/CDROM drive?
Thanks beforehand for any help.
Regards,
Georges.
boot: knoppix testcd
Thanks for good advice.
After 'Knoppix testcd" got :
"Reading files and checking against KNOPPIX?md5sums, this may take a while"
Waited for over three quarters of an hour. Still checking ... Then I shut the computer down. Is this normal on a Intel P4 2.40 Mhz with 512 MB Ram machine?
However does this prove anything?
Thanks for any comment.
Regards,
Georges.
Not good- it should have returned after 10, maybe 15 minutes on the outside with "everything looks ok" Looks like maybe your cd's no good. The only other thing I can think of is booting it on another machine. Probably not what you wanted to hear eh?
Thanks for kind reaction.
My problem is half solved ... Discovered by accident that everything goes fine if I remove an USb 2.0 memory stick. I can boot and use the DVD as a CD then. Same problem with Knoppix 2003-07-24.
With Knoppic 2003-06-06 everything went fine with that USb 2.0 memory stick. The trouble is now that I lose my /home-dir and my configuration when using the DVD or the Knoppix 2003-07-24.
Any idea?
Thank you.
Best Regards,
Georges.
Could you perhaps consider putting up an image of the DVD somewhere online? If you would I could probably make the effort to start up a bittorrent server--we'd need some more seeds (err?) as I only have a 256k upstream (i.e. ~40hr download for the DVD for one person) but it'd be a start.
Or maybe someone with more bandwidth would help and host it.
I would be willing to dedicate some bandwidth to the project. If someone who has the image, contact me at
dshurett (at) alphaomegahosting (dot) com

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00
Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64bit 32 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$95.99