-
Junior Member
registered user
2.1gb enough for hdinstall?
Hello, I want to format my laptop which has no floppy or cdrom drive and install knoppix, ala hdinstall script.
I only have a 2.1gb, 100mb swap, and 720mb KNOPPIXCD partition.
What I'm trying to figure out before I wipe off my Win98 (currently on the 2.1gb) and lock into linux that I can successfully pull this off.
Will knoppix-install allow me to install with only 2.1 gb free?
I have been booting knoppix with loadlin (see end of Docs>hdBasedHowTo for description) and it works well, if a bit slow between the hd swap and hd-based-instead-of-cdrom source image (only 96mb ram and pentium 233)
The reason i'm moving from windows is that my wifi card's drivers for Win98 are abbhorant and freeze or BSOD the system unacceptably often.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Okay, I just asked on IRC and the helpful people there advised that I'd need 2200mb, and 128mb swap...It turns out that I could get that by rearranging the partitions, so thats whats happening now. Wish me luck. This is a long shot!
From the script:
[23:09] <tech2k> # valid partitioning: min. 2.2 GB file system, min. 128 MB swap
[23:09] <tech2k> FSMIN=2200
[23:09] <tech2k> SWAPMIN=128
[23:09] <tech2k> # "no cloop" method requires more space
[23:09] <tech2k> NCLOOPFSMIN=4400
Similar Threads
-
By ivansv in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 01-12-2004, 02:41 PM
-
By Abehome in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-20-2003, 04:20 AM
-
By Incubii in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-06-2003, 05:50 AM
-
By Ambrose in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-21-2003, 01:34 PM
-
By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-06-2003, 05:14 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$94.95