Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: 2.1gb enough for hdinstall?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    19

    2.1gb enough for hdinstall?

    Hello, I want to format my laptop which has no floppy or cdrom drive and install knoppix, ala hdinstall script.

    I only have a 2.1gb, 100mb swap, and 720mb KNOPPIXCD partition.

    What I'm trying to figure out before I wipe off my Win98 (currently on the 2.1gb) and lock into linux that I can successfully pull this off.

    Will knoppix-install allow me to install with only 2.1 gb free?

    I have been booting knoppix with loadlin (see end of Docs>hdBasedHowTo for description) and it works well, if a bit slow between the hd swap and hd-based-instead-of-cdrom source image (only 96mb ram and pentium 233)

    The reason i'm moving from windows is that my wifi card's drivers for Win98 are abbhorant and freeze or BSOD the system unacceptably often.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    19
    Okay, I just asked on IRC and the helpful people there advised that I'd need 2200mb, and 128mb swap...It turns out that I could get that by rearranging the partitions, so thats whats happening now. Wish me luck. This is a long shot!

    From the script:
    [23:09] <tech2k> # valid partitioning: min. 2.2 GB file system, min. 128 MB swap
    [23:09] <tech2k> FSMIN=2200
    [23:09] <tech2k> SWAPMIN=128
    [23:09] <tech2k> # "no cloop" method requires more space
    [23:09] <tech2k> NCLOOPFSMIN=4400

Similar Threads

  1. knx-hdinstall
    By ivansv in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-12-2004, 02:41 PM
  2. Knx-hdinstall
    By Abehome in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-20-2003, 04:20 AM
  3. New knx-hdinstall
    By Incubii in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2003, 05:50 AM
  4. knx-hdinstall
    By Ambrose in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-21-2003, 01:34 PM
  5. knx-hdinstall + low RAM
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-06-2003, 05:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98