Thanks for all the suggestions. I stumbled across the Ogle-User mailing list archives and doing looking through every month I found my problem. Seems that there is a bug with IDE CD code in the kernel and certain DVD drives (particularly Matshita in notebooks). The fix is to use ide-scsi. The only problem with that is the 2.4.21 kernel (which I'm using wouldn't you know it) has DMA disabled because it was causing problems. Guess I'll have to wait until the 2.6 series before things work perfectly. At least now I can view DVDs. Thanks again for all the ideas.

2x SAMSUNG 32GB DDR4 2RX4 PC4-2933Y SERVER MEMORY M393A4K40CB2-CVFC0 64GB TOTAL
$300.00
Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1B1 16GB DDR4 2RX4 PC4-2133P-RBB-11 Server Memory RAM
$70.00
HPE 64gb PC4-2933Y 4DRx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Server Memory P03054-091 P06190-001
$399.99
Samsung 32GBX2 1Rx4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory M393A4G40AB3-CWEBQ 64GB EC
$370.00
Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
32GB Micron MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1RK PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory
$118.00
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98
SK Hynix 16GB HMA42GL7MFR4N-TF 2Rx4 PC4-2133P ECC REG Server Memory RAM
$120.00