Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Newbie question about downloading

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    7

    Newbie question about downloading

    I have been having problems downloading the image file from the Virginia Tech ftp site. I have been accessing the ftp site with my IE 6 browser, right-clicking the link for the image file, and selecting "Save File As..."

    The download works fine until the very last second, when I get an error message that there is "insufficient space" on my HD. But I checked and I have 1GB of free space on the HD. I thought the 300 MB of extra space would be enough. I even defragmented the disk, and disabled the firewall on my 2nd attempt, but that did not help.

    I also tried downloading the file from the Virginia Tech site by using the ws-ftp application, but I was unable to log in.

    Does anyone have any advice as to what else I can try (other than deleting more stuff from my 6GB HD)?

    Thanks and sorry if the question sounds dumb.

    Kiru

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    The .iso is right at 700M in size so you'd need at least that much room.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Newbie question about downloading

    Quote Originally Posted by kiru9867
    The download works fine until the very last second, when I get an error message that there is "insufficient space" on my HD. But I checked and I have 1GB of free space on the HD. I thought the 300 MB of extra space would be enough. I even defragmented the disk, and disabled the firewall on my 2nd attempt, but that did not help.
    You would need ~1.4gb free to download the file windows needs 700mb for a temp file and 700mb extra to actually write the file to the disk.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Maybe worth checking IE's cache contents. But since you most
    certainly allocated _less_ than 700 Mb to the cache, the ISO
    probably was deleted on the next IE invocation. Oh, well...
    I suggest you download a windows version of "wget"
    http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html
    Learn to use it from a DOS box, it works the same as under
    linux. Interrupted downloads can be restarted (-c switch),
    and there's no silly copying around.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by baldyeti
    and there's no silly copying around.
    This is the most stupid feature of IE I have seen so far, to download a 700M file, one needs to have 1.4G space available, I just don't know what is in their mind when they design this, especially there is no suspend/resume, what for ?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    After I started to use Linux (and I've seen Mac OS X, too) I asked this question so many times... Why haven't they build a propper uninstall-system or packetmanagement? why all the securityflaws? why so slow? why do I miss this and this and this feature? etc etc - I guess the answer is: they don't have to make it right, ppl buy it anyway... they have no choice... (at least, they think so)

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    7
    Well I deleted another 400 MB of stuff from the HD so there was 1.4GB available. (This was before I read the post about the workaround). I managed to download it w/o problems.

    Now I have a different problem - I posted it as a new thread. I haven't even installed anything and already one problem after another ...

    Kiru

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    This is the most stupid feature of IE I have seen so far, to download a 700M file, one needs to have 1.4G space available, I just don't know what is in their mind when they design this, especially there is no suspend/resume, what for ?
    It is not just IE it is every program and it does not matter if you are saving to another partition with plenty of room you still need the space on the C: drive.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by kiru9867
    Now I have a different problem - I posted it as a new thread. I haven't even installed anything and already one problem after another ...

    Kiru
    I read your other post. I notice that so far your problems were all w/ M$

    Do yourself a favor and read some of the documentation. Life will be much easier.

Similar Threads

  1. Newbie question
    By Fred666 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-26-2004, 03:43 AM
  2. newbie question
    By mover50 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 01:56 AM
  3. newbie question
    By morglum666 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-23-2003, 01:05 AM
  4. An easy newbie question - very newbie
    By Drago in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
  5. Newbie question
    By linuxfool in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-21-2003, 03:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$488.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1... picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...

$324.99