-
I get an error when using apt-get
When ever trying to install a new application, it get the following error:
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
So, as it suggests, I run apt-get -f install...no good, I get this error:
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xcursor/Xcursor.h', which is also in package xlibs-dev
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Any suggestions? I am new to debian, have been using linux off and on for about three years, still consider myself a beginner. I upgraded my machine to unstable after performing a knx-hdinstall using the directions on debian.org . Any help would be appreciated.-Ryan
-
Senior Member
registered user
welcome to the dark side of apt-get.
There isn't very much you can do. you may try to first remove xlibs-dev and try again. You see this error because the package maintainers(of both packages) both include the file in question which dpkg don't like(it wants to be sure that every file in the system belongs to only one package, based on my limited knowledge of it). May be there is a command line option that can tell dpkg to ignore this condition.
I would like to know the answer too.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
garyng
welcome to the dark side of apt-get.
There isn't very much you can do. you may try to first remove xlibs-dev and try again. You see this error because the package maintainers(of both packages) both include the file in question which dpkg don't like(it wants to be sure that every file in the system belongs to only one package, based on my limited knowledge of it). May be there is a command line option that can tell dpkg to ignore this condition.
I would like to know the answer too.
"If you have nothing to loose"
do the following:
Code:
cd /var/cache/apt/archives/
dpkg --force-overwrite -i package_inquestion.deb
Then both packages will be installed, but of course the file will be overwritten.
There are other solutions possible with dpkg-divert, but those should be used more by package-developers like me
.
cu
Fabian
-
Fixed. I slept for the night, then used netselect to get a new mirror, ran apt-get update, and then ran apt-get -f install . I don't know how it worked, or why, but it did and I now have apt-get back and working again. I guess that's why they call it unstable.-Ryan
-
Senior Member
registered user
unstable indeed 
but most of the time the problems get fixed quick. So I can handle it... just dont upgrade your system if you have to finish an important document for tomorow
Similar Threads
-
By IdroJ in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-04-2004, 11:43 PM
-
By Cuddles in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 17
Last Post: 01-20-2004, 04:30 PM
-
By luro95 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-17-2003, 03:55 AM
-
By labrador in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-18-2003, 01:54 AM
-
By Mad_Max_FX in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-22-2003, 03:29 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$49.99

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE
$6299.00

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare
$1800.00

Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs
$14.99

Vintage Apple Macintosh Classic 128K Game Pack 5 On New 400K Double Density Disk
$39.99

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$59.99

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond
$140.00

Vintage Apple IIe Platinum A2S2128 128K Computer - Powers On - Missing Key
$249.99

Apple Macintosh 512K 1MB MacSnap SCSI 128K ROM 800K + 400K Drive Keyboard Mouse
$995.00

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K Original Model M0001 With Keyboard and Mouse
$1799.99