Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: help knoppix....

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5

    help knoppix....

    Hi all
    I'm new on this forum! Compliments for Knoppix! I found it fantastic!!
    I've a little problem. I've a very old monitor that support only 800x600 or previous resolution.
    I've solved this matter typing in the boot "fb800x600" and knoppix run very well. But now I would install it on hd. I followed the procedure to install to hd and it ends without problems.
    But when I run Knoppix with floppy boot, it run at 1024x768 resolution and my monitor doesn't support it

    How can I change the resolution to 800x600?

    Very thanks

    Bye

    Eraser

    PS: Sorry for my bad english, but I'm italian

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    24

    Editing XF86Config-4

    Boot from CD
    Enter command console. Insert floppy (named data) into floppy drive. (Warning: All data on your floppy will be destroyed!)
    Code:
    sudo -s
    cd /etc/X11
    tar cf /dev/fd0 XF86Config-4
    Boot from boot-floppy. When LiLo stops, insert
    Code:
    knoppix 2
    Now you come to the init level 2 and no X-server will be started.
    Enter password.
    Code:
    cd /etc/X11
    # make backup file:
    cp XF86Config-4 XF86Config-4.1024
    # Restore XF86Config-4 from floppy
    tar xf /dev/fd0
    # start init level 5 with X-server:
    init 5
    I hope, this helps.
    Hamatoma

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    24

    Dont forget to change floppy

    Sorry: After booting you must exchange the floppies. Before you use the tar-command!
    Greetings from Munich to the sunny Italy (I hope so).
    Hamatoma

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5
    Hi hamatoma and very thanks for the reply

    I didn't resolve the problem

    I followed your procedure but the screen boot always in 1024x768

    If I've understood right, X-server isn't the matter. The problem begin when Boot from floppy finish and begin the procedure to detect hardware and other things, so before kde start

    What could I do?

    Kind regards

    Eraser

  5. #5
    SUOrangeman
    Guest
    I'm not in Knoppix right now, but are there different resolutions preconfigured in the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4? To find out, press CTRL&ATL&- (minus on the numberic keypad). CTRL&ALT&+ (plus) *should* jump to the next highest resolution configured in XF86Config-4.

    To make the changes permanent, delete instances of "1024x768" in XF86Config-4 (and anything higher, for that matter).

    -SUO

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5
    thanks for the reply

    I tried to press CTRL&ALT&- or + (I knew this cheat) but it doesn't work

    I'm desperate

    Bye

    Eraser

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD

$349.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$96.60



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$197.76



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Supermicro 938-16 16-LFF MicroCloud SuperServer 5038MR-H8TRF *No Blade Servers* picture

Supermicro 938-16 16-LFF MicroCloud SuperServer 5038MR-H8TRF *No Blade Servers*

$159.99



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08



Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric picture

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric

$174.99