Using KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-09-05-EN.iso with md5 verified, I saved the configuration to floppy, and rebooted. The following messages appeared during the boot:
executing /mnt/floppy/knoppix.sh
Extracting /mnt/floppy/configs.tbz
tar: /etc/X11/XF86Config-4: time stamp 2003-09-14 06:51:34 is 26101 s in the future
tar: /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.kxconfig.backup: time stamp 2003-09-14 06:51:34 is 26101 s in the future
chown: too few arguments
I have never seen a succesful restore of the configuration from floppy, so I am not sure what to look for. I think the root password was restored, but the changes I made to the panel were not.
The time stamp complaints might have been caused by my attempts to adjust the clock to PDT.

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99
Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00
DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29
UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25
SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2
$70.00
ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller
$29.99
INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC
$40.00
Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI
$44.00
Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00
Happy 1050 Upgrade for Atari 1050 Disk Drive - Solderless Installation - HS/DD
$49.97