Hi folks,
Hopefully I won't make any glaring mistakes here,, please forgive me if I do.
Here's my scenario: Using Bart's multiple boot image CD as my model ( http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/#multimemdisk ), I wanted to run multiple Knoppix versions (or Knoppix derivatives, i.e., Morphix, Pilot Linux, etc.) from a single CD.
My biggest problem was that when I booted my CD, the same version of Knoppix always booted, even though I have different "image" files from the different Knoppix versions that my menu pointed to.
I came to the conclusion from some other posts ( http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4229 ) that there was, evidently, some configuration changes that had to be made to the linuxrc file in order to be able to launch the version of Knoppix that I really wanted to launch...instead of the same one irregardless of the menu choice! After a little trial and error I figured out what, specifically, had to be changed within the linuxrc file...and how to do it.
In the root directory of my cd, I left the default directory of Knoppix called Knoppix. Since, by default, Pilot Linux runs from a directory named Knoppix, I renamed it Pilot.
In order to get Pilot Linux to launch from the directory called Pilot, I made the following changes to the linuxrc file:
From: if test -d /cdrom/knoppix
To: if test -d /cdrom/pilot
I also changed,
From: if test -n "$FOUND_KNOPPIX" -a -f /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX; then
# DEBUG
# echo "6" > /proc/sys/kernel/printk
insmod -f /modules/cloop.o file=/cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
To: if test -n "$FOUND_KNOPPIX" -a -f /cdrom/pilot/KNOPPIX; then
# DEBUG
# echo "6" > /proc/sys/kernel/printk
insmod -f /modules/cloop.o file=/cdrom/pilot/KNOPPIX
To modify the linuxrc file, you need to:
mount boot.img boot -t msdos -o loop=/dev/loop0
cp boot/miniroot.gz .
gunzip miniroot.gz
mount miniroot /pathtowherethe/minirootfileis -t ext2 -o loop=/dev/loop1
vi linuxrc (and make your changes)
umount /pathtowherethe/minirootfileis
gzip -9 miniroot
stick it back into boot.img and off you go.....
I hope this helps and wasn't too confusing. I'm pretty new to Linux, but if I can answer any further questions I'll try. Good luck!
Craig

Vintage 2006 Juicy Couture House of Juicy Velour Laptop Sleeve Y2K NWT Rare
$199.99
Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1
$250.00
Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00
🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP
$299.99
Huge Lot of Vintage Computer Brochures, Catalogs, etc. - 1980's - SEE PICS
$100.00
Vintage Laptop HP Hewlett Packard Pavilion N3110 Celeron 433 MHz *Please Read*
$50.99
Vintage PB-64 64K RAM Printer Buffer Parallel Computer Printer Interface
$74.99
Vintage IDE Removable Hard Drive Mobile Rack 5.25 Bay 50-Pin Tray + Maxtor 40GB
$49.99
Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$139.98
Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board.
$135.37