Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: I get an error when using apt-get

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3

    I get an error when using apt-get

    When ever trying to install a new application, it get the following error:

    E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

    So, as it suggests, I run apt-get -f install...no good, I get this error:

    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb (--unpack):
    trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xcursor/Xcursor.h', which is also in package xlibs-dev
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

    Any suggestions? I am new to debian, have been using linux off and on for about three years, still consider myself a beginner. I upgraded my machine to unstable after performing a knx-hdinstall using the directions on debian.org . Any help would be appreciated.-Ryan

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    welcome to the dark side of apt-get.

    There isn't very much you can do. you may try to first remove xlibs-dev and try again. You see this error because the package maintainers(of both packages) both include the file in question which dpkg don't like(it wants to be sure that every file in the system belongs to only one package, based on my limited knowledge of it). May be there is a command line option that can tell dpkg to ignore this condition.

    I would like to know the answer too.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    welcome to the dark side of apt-get.

    There isn't very much you can do. you may try to first remove xlibs-dev and try again. You see this error because the package maintainers(of both packages) both include the file in question which dpkg don't like(it wants to be sure that every file in the system belongs to only one package, based on my limited knowledge of it). May be there is a command line option that can tell dpkg to ignore this condition.

    I would like to know the answer too.
    "If you have nothing to loose" do the following:

    Code:
    cd /var/cache/apt/archives/
    dpkg --force-overwrite -i package_inquestion.deb
    Then both packages will be installed, but of course the file will be overwritten.

    There are other solutions possible with dpkg-divert, but those should be used more by package-developers like me .

    cu

    Fabian

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3
    Fixed. I slept for the night, then used netselect to get a new mirror, ran apt-get update, and then ran apt-get -f install . I don't know how it worked, or why, but it did and I now have apt-get back and working again. I guess that's why they call it unstable.-Ryan

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    unstable indeed

    but most of the time the problems get fixed quick. So I can handle it... just dont upgrade your system if you have to finish an important document for tomorow

Similar Threads

  1. CRC error
    By IdroJ in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-04-2004, 11:43 PM
  2. Xine error after doing a Upgrade, error posted. (resolved)
    By Cuddles in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 04:30 PM
  3. Why I got this error
    By luro95 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-17-2003, 03:55 AM
  4. mkisofs error: end request: I/O error, dev 02:00 (floppy...
    By labrador in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-18-2003, 01:54 AM
  5. Partition-error (Table written but error while reading!!!)
    By Mad_Max_FX in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-22-2003, 03:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



2024 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2024 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$89.99



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL60 DL80 Gen9 (U15) U15_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL60 DL80 Gen9 (U15) U15_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



New Samsung DUO Plus 32GB USB 3.1 USB-C Flash Drive Gray MUF-32DB/AM picture

New Samsung DUO Plus 32GB USB 3.1 USB-C Flash Drive Gray MUF-32DB/AM

$19.95



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL160 DL180 Gen9 (U20) U20_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL160 DL180 Gen9 (U20) U20_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant BL460cWS46 Gen9 (I36) I36_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant BL460cWS46 Gen9 (I36) I36_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99