Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: block-major-2 error on boot

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    17

    block-major-2 error on boot

    I'm having this problem with running Knoppix 3.2 9/03 on a Desknote computer. The desknote has no floppy drive built in and I know that's the problem after reading some notes on Google, so I'm posting here as I know this is more likely a problem that laptop users will run into. Hopefully someone has found a solution.

    Taking it another step, I can boot without a floppy drive okay. Knoppix seems to continue booting after the block-major-2 error is displayed twice. After booting, Knoppix recognizes my USB mouse (the first version of Knoppix to do so). BUT, when I add my USB floppy drive to the Desknote (to avoid the block-major-2 error), Knoppix still boots with a block-major-2 error and then fails to recognize my usb mouse.

    Has anyone found a way to boot without a floppy or get Knoppix to recognize a usb floppy drive?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7

    liloconfig solves `Modprobe: Can't locate block-major-2...'?

    I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 without a floppy drive. I used to get the same error message twice one after the other in the same line: ``Modprobe: Can't locate block-major-2...'' I have lived with it for afew weeks until when I decided to partition C: to get an E: partition with FAT32 format to share information between Linux and WinXP. For this purpose, I used Partition Magic 8, after which the computer became unbootable. So I used the Knoppix 3.3 cd to boot the computer from CDROM drive, went into the root directory of the Debian 2.4.23-xfs-acpi-experimental I used to ran, chroot into it, and run liloconfig to create a lilo.conf file with default settings. I also said 'yes' to install the boot manager to hda with these default lilo settings. Note that the original lilo.conf file I used did not help with installing the boot manager (or may be I was installing it to the wrong place?). Then, I edited the new lilo.conf with zile and added an entry for WinXP(hda1). I ran lilo again. Now I could easily boot any of the two operating systems I had.

    Then, guess what. I am not getting the modprobe error anymore! I have no idea as to how this took place internally in the computer, but it seems to be fixed by liloconfig in short.

    Best,

    FCC.

Similar Threads

  1. knopix 3.7 boot problem: error -3 uncompressing block...
    By HONK in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 07:45 PM
  2. Diskless Install Error "block-major-2 not found"
    By phillfri in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-26-2003, 01:52 AM
  3. Linksys WUSB12 / "block-major-2" err terminates au
    By phillfri in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-19-2003, 03:33 AM
  4. block-major-2: How to disable floppy drive detection at boot
    By ls_linux in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-15-2003, 01:54 AM
  5. module block-major-2 &cardmgr(56) help please
    By ls_linux in forum Laptops
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-11-2003, 09:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G9E2 MICRON 32GB (1X32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2933Y MEMORY picture

MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G9E2 MICRON 32GB (1X32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2933Y MEMORY

$229.00



SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK picture

SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK

$169.95



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB picture

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB

$124.95



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Micron 16GB DDR4 2133MHz RDIMM Server Memory (MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A2II) - Preowned picture

Micron 16GB DDR4 2133MHz RDIMM Server Memory (MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A2II) - Preowned

$59.00



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00