Marcel Gagne is a good writer. The book should prove helpful to people. Including a Knoppix cd with a intro book on Linux is really a smart idea. What better way is there to get a newbie up and running QUICKLY with linux than by using Knoppix.
A new book, "Moving to Linux: Kiss the Blue Screen of Death Goodbye!" featuring Knoppix, and including a Knoppix CD has been released.
![]()
Marcel Gagne is a good writer. The book should prove helpful to people. Including a Knoppix cd with a intro book on Linux is really a smart idea. What better way is there to get a newbie up and running QUICKLY with linux than by using Knoppix.
knoppix will prove excellent for linux n00bs![]()
Kiss the blue screen of death goodbye.
Yeah. And get ready to kiss kernel panic.
"kernel panic" Google hits 187,000
"blue screen of death" Google hits 131,000
And, uh, "kernal panic" Google hits 26,400
Except for the price of admission, Linux is as much of a circus as any other OS.
And, you know, it's just a computer - Get a Life!
Having met Marcel at Penguicon 1.0 in May (and as a tech writer myself), I most certainly agree. He's witty, funny, and an excellent communicator. This book is on my short list.Originally Posted by aay
Sorry but your comparing apples and oranges. There's a lot of people building their own linux systems from the ground up. When you do this there is obviously a lot of room for mistakes, but at least you CAN do this with linux. Free to tinker with the kernel et all.Originally Posted by Dallas Eschenauer
Likewise I've got linux servers that run for months on end (and in the case of some other people years) without ever needing a reboot. I seriously doubt whether or not that can be said of any windows server.
I must say however that the only time I've experienced kernel panic is when I've either booted from or installed bad cd's. In this case it's been my fault for a bad burn or else my download has been corrupted.
I don't know about the experience of others in the forum, but I've experienced a lot more of the BSOD than kernel panic.
Eadz,Originally Posted by eadz
Maybe we should promote this book somehow? Or at least point newbies to it as a good reference book that is compatible with their goals of learning Knoppix.
One way would be to get a review on slashdot ( or your local newspaper / mag ). I'm not a book reviewer though.. Another way is to donate it to your local library. And I could put a link on the homepage too..Originally Posted by aay
There is also an Amazon commission program. You could get a small amount for each sale referred from here. You deserve it!Originally Posted by eadz
Originally Posted by Dallas Eschenauer
Actually your stats are bogus: I googled this?
blue screen of death = Results 1 - 10 of about 340,000. Search took 0.55 seconds.
kernel panic = Results 1 - 10 of about 162,000. Search took 0.12 seconds.
Regardless of the outcome only a complete monkey-tard could draw any conclusions as to stability from these results as all Linux kernel development is conducted openly on the net as apposed to M$s closed door policies. The general public will never see a development kernel from Redmond. As to your assumptions about the quality of my life I can assure you that it is very good.
Very lame troll Mr. Eschenauer perhaps you need to get a life?

SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK
$169.95
SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98
Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99
Hynix & Samsun (Lot Of 36) 4GB 2Rx8 PC3L-10600R DDR3 Server Memory 144GB Total
$120.00
Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G9E2 MICRON 32GB (1X32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2933Y MEMORY
$229.00
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
Lot 100 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Reg Server Memory RDIMM RAM
$9599.00
Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW
$1.39
RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00