Yesterday, I recovered data from an XP system that would not boot with Knoppix. Not particularly difficult, but much more functional than any MS alternative. I posted the complete story on our home page ls.net
Might anyone know what version of Knoppix is available with Marcel's book "Moving To Linux:..." Is it 3.2, 3.3, or any other version? Thanx!
Yesterday, I recovered data from an XP system that would not boot with Knoppix. Not particularly difficult, but much more functional than any MS alternative. I posted the complete story on our home page ls.net
3.2 I think, going by the screenshot on the cover which is KDE3.x, although the screenshots inside the book are 2.2xOriginally Posted by Scofius
![]()
Iexperience kernel panic on my older machine, about one time in every twenty boots. (it is a basic workstation that is shutdown about at the end of the dayOriginally Posted by aay
I'm not sure how your system is set up but of all the systems I have ever loaded Knoppix on I have never seen kernel panic.Originally Posted by Dallas Eschenauer
Running off the disc or from a harddrive. Knoppix and all Linux distros I have used in the last 18 months have been superiror to Windows in every way.
As soon as the hardware companies start putting out drivers for Linux and software companies see that there is a market for Linux software there will be no reason for people to use windows. Unless that is that they like to torture themselves.
Sorry, but your link is dead....Originally Posted by Loper
Regards,
The original link changed on the Unix Review site. I edited the original post; here's the new link again: http://www.unixreview.com/documents/s=1357/ur0309kOriginally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-- Michael Rudas
Oak Park Computer Club: http://opcc.2ya.com
Metro Detroit Linux Users' Group: http://www.MDLUG.org
PenguiCon 2.0 Open Source & Science Fiction convention, April 2004: http://www.PenguiCon.org
Sorry, still dead....
I am a newbie to Knoppix - I had seen the advertisement for the book pop up once in a while, but just gave it advertisement garbage poop.
With the consideration from those in this thread, and the lack of my NON-MS knowledge of other OS's on the market - I am seriously going to check this book out the next time I am in the store.
I am not one who stands on the old saying "ignornace is bliss", or something along the lines of an anti- "forethought" knowledge. I want to know what I am getting into, BEFORE I get into it. In my theory, I want to go online with Knoppix, and BE secure, before I hit the internet. I have been with MS since DOS 1.12, and have seen the Windows Updates each time I have Windows Updater suggest new patches.
My problem with "the other OS" is simply that "The Flying Window OS" makes new OS's without previous knowledge of the problems in those OS's. From what I have seen, and heard, Windows 95 had tons of security problems, and just when they get all those patched up, they released Windows 98, which did not have any of those patches in it. In other words, Win98 was open to ALL security issues that Win95 started out with. Considering Win95, 98, NT, ME, SE, XP, 2000, etc... That is a lot of patching up. I see Knoppix as a way to START OFF secure, I hope. My problem is the learning curve involved with a new (foreign) OS, one that I have no clue on. But, anyway, thanks to this forum, and this thread - I see a way to learn more about something I do not know.
Thanks,
Cuddles
I just got the book in the mail yesterday. I ordered it from Linux Central. Already read the first chapter and so far my impression of it is pretty good. I should have it read in a few days and I'm also going to fire up the Knoppix CD that came with it. So I'll post again a little later. Actually what attracted me was the price, $24.95. BTW Happy New Year!!!!!![]()

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$488.00
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99