Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: installing lili or grub

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298

    installing lili or grub

    hi! I just blew up my mbr, and I want to use knoppix to reinstall lilo. but I get loads of permission denied and unable to open-errors. I can mount /dev/hda7, (my reiserfs linux root partition) but cant change hda's mbr... help??? how can I clean the mbr, and install a new one, using knoppix?

    btw: using lilo, it tells me: Fatal: unable to open /dev/hda: permission denied.
    all disks are set writable...

    please help!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: installing lili or grub

    Quote Originally Posted by Superstoned
    hi! I just blew up my mbr, and I want to use knoppix to reinstall lilo. but I get loads of permission denied and unable to open-errors. I can mount /dev/hda7, (my reiserfs linux root partition) but cant change hda's mbr... help??? how can I clean the mbr, and install a new one, using knoppix?

    btw: using lilo, it tells me: Fatal: unable to open /dev/hda: permission denied.
    all disks are set writable...

    please help!
    What command are you using it should be something like sudo chroot /mnt/hda7 /sbin/lilo -v after having mounted the /dev/hda7 as /mnt/hda7.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    I'll try your command... (but I worked from a root shell, so sudo shouldnt be needed?)

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    yep yep: (using your command, all disks writable and mounted)

    Reading boot sector from /dev/hda
    Fatal: open /dev/hda: Permission denied

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    btw tnx for the reply

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    liloconf gives almost the same error:

    (...)
    Checking your /etc/lilo.conf for incompatible options...

    Install a boot block using your current LILO configuration? [Yes] y

    (...)
    Running lilo...
    (...)


    Reading boot sector from /dev/hda
    Fatal: open /dev/hda: Permission denied

    ERROR: correct /etc/lilo.conf manually and rerun /sbin/lilo

    (i use the lilo.conf that still was on my hd, which should work!?!?)

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    I've just tried lilo -M /dev/hda /mnt/hda7/etc/lilo.conf
    and this worked - at least, lilo told me: MBR updated. I hope this is enough... I'm goin' to reboot, hope it works. If not, I first get some sleep, work tomorow, and I'll be back next night...

    tnx for reply's

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstoned
    yep yep: (using your command, all disks writable and mounted)

    Reading boot sector from /dev/hda
    Fatal: open /dev/hda: Permission denied
    sorry, just saw that.

    The trick is that things are mounted with nodev as default ...

    so you have to do as root:

    mount /dev/hdaX /mnt/hdaX
    chroot /mnt/hdaX
    lilo

    And it does work.

    Did not only me cost me nerves to find this out.

    cu

    Fabian

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    tnx! pitty I just formatted the disk, and am reinstalling... btw the new knoppix-iso is still giving troubles, a friend of mine told me he had to convert the file to a .bin, then back to iso - before he was able to burn it. there IS something wrong with the iso...

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4
    hi superstoned

    check this http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=22656#22656
    I hope they see there is something wrong.
    or else we have a very strange problem which can fake md5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How can I install Knoppix without installing Lilo or Grub?
    By Mustang64 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-18-2005, 12:32 PM
  2. Installing with Grub?
    By bonnyfused in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 02:00 AM
  3. Using knoppix to aid in installing GRUB on a HDD
    By brian in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-17-2005, 05:59 PM
  4. Getting rid of Grub
    By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-10-2003, 04:04 AM
  5. installing knoppix vs installing Linux from scratch
    By jza in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-03-2003, 11:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km picture

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km

$15.99



Intel Xeon E5-2699 v3 18 Core 2.3 GHz 45MB SR1XD LGA 2011-3 B Grade picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 v3 18 Core 2.3 GHz 45MB SR1XD LGA 2011-3 B Grade

$15.95



DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11 picture

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11

$149.00



Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TS-S01U00 picture

Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TS-S01U00

$279.00