Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: 9/05/03 too many broken things, rolling back to 4/5/03

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    149

    9/05/03 too many broken things, rolling back to 4/5/03

    Hi;

    I upgraded my hdd install from 4/5/03 to 9/05/03.

    I noticed changes, not all for the better.

    I uninstalled 9/05/03, did a clean reinstall just to check and then reinstalled 4/5/03.

    I have new hardware. I bought my system in March 2003.

    4/05/03 detected and configured all of my hardware perfectly without any effort from me.

    9/05/03:

    - didn't quite get my monitor (multisyncy lcd 1530v ) right. When I hit the
    autoconfigure on the monitor the words became blurry and half of my
    "screen" shot off to the right horizontally. 4/05/03 worked perfectly
    with the autoconfigure.

    - 4/05/03 all I had to do to get xine working was to dowload the dvd cracker
    libs mentioned in the faq. No fuss, no muss. 9/05/03 set /dev/dvd to
    "Knoppix/dev/dvd". It also could not detect my dvd player properly
    running dmesg produced all sorts of errors. Trying to start xine made
    it and the terminal hang.

    - using XMMS to play a cd resulted in XMMS trying to play my radio
    card instead. no such problem in 4/05/03.

    - icewm 1.2.12 is BUGGY.


    I don't want to complain for no reason.

    If someone who has the power to change knoppix wants to work with me to figure out this apparent step backwards I will be glad to keep my system as it is for a few days to try to debug things so Knoppix can keep getting better with newer versions.

    Thanks in advance

    Steve

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297

    Re: 9/05/03 too many broken things, rolling back to 4/5/03

    Quote Originally Posted by beforewisdom
    Hi;

    I upgraded my hdd install from 4/5/03 to 9/05/03.

    I noticed changes, not all for the better.

    I uninstalled 9/05/03, did a clean reinstall just to check and then reinstalled 4/5/03.

    I have new hardware. I bought my system in March 2003.

    4/05/03 detected and configured all of my hardware perfectly without any effort from me.

    9/05/03:

    - didn't quite get my monitor (multisyncy lcd 1530v ) right. When I hit the
    autoconfigure on the monitor the words became blurry and half of my
    "screen" shot off to the right horizontally. 4/05/03 worked perfectly
    with the autoconfigure.

    - 4/05/03 all I had to do to get xine working was to dowload the dvd cracker
    libs mentioned in the faq. No fuss, no muss. 9/05/03 set /dev/dvd to
    "Knoppix/dev/dvd". It also could not detect my dvd player properly
    running dmesg produced all sorts of errors. Trying to start xine made
    it and the terminal hang.

    - using XMMS to play a cd resulted in XMMS trying to play my radio
    card instead. no such problem in 4/05/03.

    - icewm 1.2.12 is BUGGY.


    I don't want to complain for no reason.

    If someone who has the power to change knoppix wants to work with me to figure out this apparent step backwards I will be glad to keep my system as it is for a few days to try to debug things so Knoppix can keep getting better with newer versions.

    Thanks in advance

    Steve
    For the last one with icewm, thats a problem of debian ... Anyway good to know ...

    The /dev/dvd-Problem did I introduce ... Sorry for that.

    Just do as root:

    rm -f /dev/dvd
    ln -s /dev/cdrom /dev/dvd

    rm -f /dev/cdaudio
    ln -s /dev/cdrom /dev/cdaudio

    And dvd and audio should work again ...

    Hm, for the monitor problem, could you try to boot the CD with "knoppix noddc" or "knoppix xvrefresh=75" or "knoppix xvrefresh=60" ...

    Then if you have a working configuration copy /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to /yourrootpart/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 ...

    Yes, we did change something in X-Detection-Process ... (So that some people can work with 100 Hz )

    Please report a bug for that last one ...

    Kano deserves it

    cu

    Fabian

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    149

    Re: 9/05/03 too many broken things, rolling back to 4/5/03

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabianx

    For the last one with icewm, thats a problem of debian ... Anyway good to know ...

    The /dev/dvd-Problem did I introduce ... Sorry for that.

    Just do as root:

    rm -f /dev/dvd
    ln -s /dev/cdrom /dev/dvd

    rm -f /dev/cdaudio
    ln -s /dev/cdrom /dev/cdaudio

    And dvd and audio should work again ...

    Hm, for the monitor problem, could you try to boot the CD with "knoppix noddc" or "knoppix xvrefresh=75" or "knoppix xvrefresh=60" ...

    Then if you have a working configuration copy /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to /yourrootpart/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 ...

    Yes, we did change something in X-Detection-Process ... (So that some people can work with 100 Hz )

    Please report a bug for that last one ...

    Kano deserves it

    cu

    Fabian
    None of that helped.

    I can roll back to a June release of Knoppix I have that works out of the box.

    However, I would like to help debug 9/5/03.

    Working through the forum is kind of slow and frustrating.

    I would be willing to make an appointment to meet via IM ( or private irc channel ) sometime this weekend to help debug all of this...........if that is helpful to you/the knoppix people.

    If it isn't let me know and I will just roll back.

    If you think it would be helpful to future knoppix releases post some times you can do it this weekend. I am in the eastern time zone in the US.

    Steve

Similar Threads

  1. How can I stop screen from rolling after boot?
    By rfarmer in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-30-2004, 01:22 AM
  2. I've broken KDE - how to get it back?
    By stukennedyuk in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-29-2003, 02:57 AM
  3. apt-get Rolling back changes
    By beforewisdom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-01-2003, 03:42 AM
  4. apt-get rolling back configurations
    By beforewisdom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-24-2003, 09:16 AM
  5. 2 things that still bug me
    By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-26-2003, 01:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$489.99



Lenovo Thinkpad E14 Laptop 14

Lenovo Thinkpad E14 Laptop 14" 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected]

$126.65



Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core 4750U 1.70 GHz 512 GB SSD 16 GB RAM Win11Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core 4750U 1.70 GHz 512 GB SSD 16 GB RAM Win11Pro

$240.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF

$435.99



Dell - XPS 13.4

Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...

$599.99



Apple Mac Mini M1 @ 3.2GHz, A2348,  1TB 16GB, 8-Core CPU / 8-Core GPU - SILVER picture

Apple Mac Mini M1 @ 3.2GHz, A2348, 1TB 16GB, 8-Core CPU / 8-Core GPU - SILVER

$675.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 104MB AM5 Processor Brand New picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 104MB AM5 Processor Brand New

$379.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



Intel Core i9-9900 SRG18 3.10GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900 SRG18 3.10GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$177.21