Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Running DDclient without remaster. Who knows how?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    23

    Running DDclient without remaster. Who knows how?

    Searching the forums I run across a user named sweetzip who says it is possible, but I can't find this user.
    I was originally whining about using dpkg to install DDclient. But subsequently I got the tarball and thought I was being quite clever until I discovered that I can't write to /usr/sbin at all. Is there any way around that?
    For example, I noticed that I could overwrite files in /etc by simply deleting the originals first. Is there some similar trick to writing to /usr/sbin or perhaps an alternative method for installing DDClient.
    Here's hoping, but I suspect this sweetzip person is not going to see this.
    Oh well, can't hurt to try.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297

    Re: Running DDclient without remaster. Who knows how?

    Quote Originally Posted by ahfoo
    Searching the forums I run across a user named sweetzip who says it is possible, but I can't find this user.
    I was originally whining about using dpkg to install DDclient. But subsequently I got the tarball and thought I was being quite clever until I discovered that I can't write to /usr/sbin at all. Is there any way around that?
    For example, I noticed that I could overwrite files in /etc by simply deleting the originals first. Is there some similar trick to writing to /usr/sbin or perhaps an alternative method for installing DDClient.
    Here's hoping, but I suspect this sweetzip person is not going to see this.
    Oh well, can't hurt to try.
    Instructions:

    cp ddclient to /home/knoppix/sbin or a similar directory ...

    Change:

    /etc/init.d/ddclient

    and set:

    DAEMON=/home/knoppix/sbin/ddclient

    Congratulations, ddclient should work now )

    cu

    Fabian

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    23
    No way! It's the amazing FabianX from the RAMDisk thread.
    Well thanks for the advice my friend. It seems I do have it working and it's a real thrill to finally have both my old static sites and a bouncing baby PHP site going as well.
    You've saved my much grief and a long journey has come to an end. Now a new one begins --intro to database management and PHP mods.
    Just for the record, when looking through the file that comes with the DDClient-3.6.3 tarball called sample-etc-rd.d-init-d_ddclient I didn't see the exact line that you referred to.

    DAEMON=/usr/sbin/ddclient
    However, I did find something that look similar enough in concept which was a line that looked like this

    Code:
    PATH=/usr/sbin: ${PATH}
    And I changed that to /knoppix/home which was the path where I had put the main ddclient script. I already had /etc/ddclient.conf in place and When I ran the script from the home directory, sure enough my sites were updated.
    Success is success and I wouldn't have had the faith to keep plugging away withour your encouragement. Thank you once again for your kind help.

Similar Threads

  1. Running Knoppix in without the X Server running....
    By Raineri in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2003, 10:46 PM
  2. A remaster like this?
    By TheBinaryPenguin in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-15-2003, 04:38 AM
  3. US remaster
    By New Guy in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-04-2003, 11:01 PM
  4. Looking for a remaster that may have been done
    By Thorkyl in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-16-2003, 03:43 PM
  5. Any remaster with KDE 3.1 only?
    By in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-20-2003, 05:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$484.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard) picture

DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)

$399.95



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Supermicro CSE-826 2U Server Chassis W/X10DRH-C 2x E5-2620 V3 128GB RAM 2x 1280W picture

Supermicro CSE-826 2U Server Chassis W/X10DRH-C 2x E5-2620 V3 128GB RAM 2x 1280W

$499.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$381.93



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50