/etc/apt/sources.list
Hello,
I installed Knoppix (DVD edition) on my notebook (IBM t40) - what went pretty smooth.
now I tried to install alsa
apt-get install alsa-base
promps heeps of error message that the ftp is incorrect, that it can't parse or open the packagefile and so on.
when giving synaptic a try I get
Couldn't stat source package list http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_stable_updates_main_bina ry-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
Couldn't stat source package list http://ftp.de.debian.org stable/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.de.debian.org_pub_debian_dists_stable_main_bin ary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
and more of these messages. Presumably security updates are not available for debian testing/unstabl.
I assume that the ftp location is broken, how can I change it?
doing in synaptic: "update list" it is prompting a lot but no packages appear in the list after update is completed
and due to this debian via knoppix is it recommended to install testing or even unstable packages only?
well, some apt-get questions, I hope I haven't missed relevant threads in the FAQ.
thanks in adcance cheers oggi
/etc/apt/sources.list
In the above mentioned file the lines should look like this:
Code:## Debian Sources deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib ## Security updates deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
Hi, my file looks similar to this one, only one #, other order - but I assume that doesn' matter.
As far as I understand the output I receive know, the location are correct, but this parse/open error occurs:
Get:50 http://ftp.de.debian.org unstable/non-US/main Release [91B]
Hit http://ftp.de.debian.org unstable/non-US/contrib Sources
Get:51 http://ftp.de.debian.org unstable/non-US/contrib Release [94B]
Hit http://ftp.de.debian.org unstable/non-US/non-free Sources
Get:52 http://ftp.de.debian.org unstable/non-US/non-free Release [95B]
Fetched 7674kB in 12s (606kB/s)
Reading Package Lists... Error!
E: Unable to parse package file /var/lib/dpkg/status (1)
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
RESULT=100
do an ls -al /var/lib/dpkg and see if the status file exists. On my debian system I see this for status:
...
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 987347 Sep 15 11:09 status
...
Your size and date will differ but the permissions should be the same.
Have you done an apt-get update before you tried to install alsa?
~rock
the permission of /var/lib/dpkg/satus looks the same
apt-get update looks fine until it prompts:
can't parse packagelist /var/lib/dpkg/status (1)
the packagelist or the statusfile could not be parsed or opened
any idea what might be wrong?
problem solved
renaming status and doing touch status

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99
128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99
Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47
Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$282.00
1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10
Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00
Window FX Family Friendly Halloween Collection USB Flash Drive 6 Videos 723046
$24.99