Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Mounting SmartMedia, Compact Flash, etc

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15

    Mounting SmartMedia, Compact Flash, etc

    I would like to know how to mount flash memory types.
    cdrecord -scanbus shows the following:
    Code:
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ cdrecord -scanbus
    Cdrecord 2.01a06 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jörg Schilling
    Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
    Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
    scsibus0:
            0,0,0     0) 'COMPAQ  ' 'SC-148F         ' 'FA07' Removable CD-ROM
            0,1,0     1) *
            0,2,0     2) *
            0,3,0     3) *
            0,4,0     4) *
            0,5,0     5) *
            0,6,0     6) *
            0,7,0     7) *
    scsibus1:
            1,0,0   100) *
            1,1,0   101) *
            1,2,0   102) *
            1,3,0   103) 'YAMAHA  ' 'CRW8824S        ' '1.00' Removable CD-ROM
            1,4,0   104) *
            1,5,0   105) *
            1,6,0   106) *
            1,7,0   107) *
    scsibus2:
            2,0,0   200) 'General ' 'Flash Disk Drive' '2.05' Removable Disk
            2,1,0   201) *
            2,2,0   202) *
            2,3,0   203) *
            2,4,0   204) *
            2,5,0   205) *
            2,6,0   206) *
            2,7,0   207) *
    and cat /proc/scsi/scsi shows the following:
    Code:
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ cat /proc/scsi/scsi
    Attached devices:
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
      Vendor: COMPAQ   Model: SC-148F          Rev: FA07
      Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
      Vendor: YAMAHA   Model: CRW8824S         Rev: 1.00
      Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
      Vendor: General  Model: Flash Disk Drive Rev: 2.05
      Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$
    How does one mount such devices as I found on scsi channel #2?

    Thaks for such a great tool!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA, USA
    Posts
    2
    Have you tried booting with the compactflash card in?

    I have similar results to you with cdrecord -scanbus and cat /proc/scsi/scsi
    (though it appears you have two CD-RWs, while I only have one, so I
    have one less entry).

    I couldn't immediately guess what device to mount, so tried rebooting,
    and, *voila* I see an extra "Hard Disk Partition [sda1]" that is my
    CompactFlash card (an Icon on the X desktop). doing df -kl I see it
    is /dev/sda1 mounted onto /mnt/sda1, and I can peruse all my pictures.
    I can, of course, now mount and umount the device and remove/replace
    as appropriate.

    Haven't yet tried to see if I can make it my home directory or config
    dir from the knoppix boot line, but I guess that's next.

    I'm using Knoppix 3.2, downloaded 9/15/2003.

    Hope this works for you!

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15
    Ok, 'try booting with the media installed into the reader' - will try in a few minutes. Can be mounted as read/write, I hope.... I will see soon enough!

    FWIW, the SCSI device at 0,0,0 is called a "Removable CD-ROM" because it actually is a reader drive. Not exactly sure why Knoppix puts my 48x reader into the SCSI section (e.g. why bother with SCSI emulation), but it is my Knoppix boot drive. I personally would have left the reader configured as IDE, but I'm certain that the SCSI emulation aspect is not interfering in any way, so I applaud the novel idea - it actually works!

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15
    Sadly, no, the desktop does not contain any extra devices, just the CDRW, the CDROM, the floppy and the local IDE hard disk.

    Which version of Knoppix are you using, mine is a few months old.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15
    Ok, made progress since a few minutes ago.... I can see the files!

    1]
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/sda
    No errors.

    2]
    Code:
    ls /mnt
    #  auto  cdrom  cdrom1  fd0  floppy  hd  hda1  proc  pts  sda  sda1  test
    So far, so good.

    3]
    Code:
    sudo mount -t msdos /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda
    No errors.

    4]
    Code:
    ls /mnt/sda
    ls: /mnt/sda/getafile.htm: Permission denied
    ls: /mnt/sda/7500me~1.xls: Permission denied
    ls: /mnt/sda/cablev~1.xls: Permission denied
    uh-oh... I need Long filenames, maybe msdos was a bad choice...

    5]
    Code:
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo umount /mnt/sda
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ ls /mnt/sda
    ls: /mnt/sda/getafile.htm: Permission denied
    ls: /mnt/sda/7500 memory and CPU options.xls: Permission denied
    ls: /mnt/sda/cable vs dialup.xls: Permission denied
    Better, but permissions still whacky. Maybe this will work, so I try to touch a file on the media

    6]
    Code:
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ touch /mnt/sda/touchfile
    touch: creating `/mnt/sda/touchfile': Permission denied
    The card is not write protected, and Windows just dropped the files in it without problem, so the hardware works.

    So maybe I need to mount as read/write.... using explicit command mount -w ??

    7]
    Code:
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo umount /mnt/sda
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo mount -w -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ ls /mnt/sda
    ls: /mnt/sda/getafile.htm: Permission denied
    ls: /mnt/sda/7500 memory and CPU options.xls: Permission denied
    ls: /mnt/sda/cable vs dialup.xls: Permission denied
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ touch /mnt/sda/touchfile
    touch: creating `/mnt/sda/touchfile': Permission denied
    Any ideas what to do next? This is going to be a 'smacks self in the head' solution, I can tell.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15
    Here it is... 'smacks self in head'.

    I rebooted once again, and this time, the SmartMedia card was recognized as brucec said it worked for him. Maybe using the floppy disk for 'myconfig=/dev/fd0' was causing me access problems to /mnt/sda1... for this reboot, myconfig failed to load from floppy (I had to recreate all my settings but at least I gained access to the SmartMedia card, good trade).

    Not sure why the first reboot attempt failed, but brucecs' solution is good for me as of now. I hope it will be consistent, I prefer this method over using a floppy - much faster!!

    Might thoughtful work, this knoppix is - automatic discovery is a true gift!

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbar
    Here it is... 'smacks self in head'.

    I rebooted once again, and this time, the SmartMedia card was recognized as brucec said it worked for him. Maybe using the floppy disk for 'myconfig=/dev/fd0' was causing me access problems to /mnt/sda1... for this reboot, myconfig failed to load from floppy (I had to recreate all my settings but at least I gained access to the SmartMedia card, good trade).

    Not sure why the first reboot attempt failed, but brucecs' solution is good for me as of now. I hope it will be consistent, I prefer this method over using a floppy - much faster!!

    Might thoughtful work, this knoppix is - automatic discovery is a true gift!
    The only mistake you made was to think that everyone should be able to read and write to the stick ...

    But if you mount it as root, only root has access to it .

    so sudo ls -la /mnt/sda would work.



    However you can even detect an usb stick after you booted.

    Just do:

    Code:
    sudo rebuildfstab -r
    mkdesktophdicons
    hm, this _should_ work automatically. I have to talk with Klaus about it.

    cu

    Fabian

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabianx
    The only mistake you made was to think that everyone should be able to read and write to the stick ...

    But if you mount it as root, only root has access to it .
    Oww! My head hurts - too many smacks!
    However you can even detect an usb stick after you booted.

    Code:
    sudo rebuildfstab -r
    mkdesktophdicons
    Thanks for the reply, Fabianx, I will try to remember the rebuildfstab -r instructions, good to know.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15
    BTW: Under Knoppix:
    Code:
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ uname -a
    Linux Knoppix 2.4.20-xfs #1 SMP Mit Mär 26 15:37:36 CET 2003 i686 Pentium III (Coppermine) GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
    My CDR is old, Fabianx, possibly this problem was corrected since my burn.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    I moved this thread over to the general support forum. Tips and tricks is for posting tweaks and short howtos for Knoppix. Questions like this would probably get more response in another forum.

    Adam

Similar Threads

  1. Install to Compact Flash option like Flash Puppy
    By monckywrench in forum Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-20-2005, 06:46 PM
  2. Usb Compact flash problems
    By Randy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-03-2005, 09:48 PM
  3. booting knoppix off compact flash card?
    By drews in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-30-2004, 05:20 PM
  4. Help on SANDISK SDDR-05 USB Compact Flash
    By jbwalters in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 12:18 AM
  5. SMC 2632W, Compact Flash, PCMCIA on IBM TP T21 47U
    By knewbex in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-09-2004, 02:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested) picture

Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested)

$39.00



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99