Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Knoppix wont even boot

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4

    Knoppix wont even boot

    As soon as I turn the comp with the cd in...it gives me this error

    "Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:01"

    WTF ?

    Well heres what I have...a 40gig HDD Pri Master for XP, and a 20gig(BLANK)sec master

    Any ideas on how to acctually run this thing ?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    I had this with my hd-install, after installing grub... strange it happens to your live-cd. Do you have the latest version? and have you checked the md5sum? cuz the kernel can't mount the filesystem, so it might be broken...

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4
    I tried "Damn small linux" too, that has the same error...i think it might be knoppix lol

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    41
    I've had problems like this with bad RAM, or RAM that is just mismatched.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4
    I dont think i'm gonna get new ram just for linux ....damn I cant believe it didnt work!

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Check the CD either with the md5 sum or

    knoppix testcd

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4
    at "boot" I typed "Knoppix testcd...it gave me the same error. Did I mentio I tried Damn Small linux too and that gave me the same error

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix wont boot from lilo
    By ed9598 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-02-2005, 02:18 AM
  2. PC wont boot Knoppix
    By Weetabix in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-28-2004, 08:19 PM
  3. Knoppix wont boot
    By Bklynjava in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-23-2004, 02:37 PM
  4. Knoppix wont boot with boot floppy
    By proto in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 11:29 PM
  5. Knoppix cd wont boot, other bootable cds will
    By lil_slice in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 06:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage NeXT Computer Drive Accessories Kit COMPLETE-SCSI Cable-Screws-3M Strap picture

Vintage NeXT Computer Drive Accessories Kit COMPLETE-SCSI Cable-Screws-3M Strap

$149.99



RARE VTG NEC IBM PC COMMAND SET SPIN MATE 6150 + SPINWRITER 8850 USER GUIDE picture

RARE VTG NEC IBM PC COMMAND SET SPIN MATE 6150 + SPINWRITER 8850 USER GUIDE

$199.95



Vintage 2002 AutoCAD Set - With Serial and Code picture

Vintage 2002 AutoCAD Set - With Serial and Code

$44.55



Commodore 128 Vintage Computer Not Working No Power Damage READ picture

Commodore 128 Vintage Computer Not Working No Power Damage READ

$129.00



IBM Model M Terminal Vintage Clicky 122-Key 1984 W/ blue keys, and unique keys picture

IBM Model M Terminal Vintage Clicky 122-Key 1984 W/ blue keys, and unique keys

$199.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage Apple M4848 USB Mouse GRAPHITE iMac G3 Hockey Puck Mouse 1998 picture

Vintage Apple M4848 USB Mouse GRAPHITE iMac G3 Hockey Puck Mouse 1998

$23.99



IBM PCjr Vintage Desktop Computer 128KB w/ Diskette Drive & Keyboard picture

IBM PCjr Vintage Desktop Computer 128KB w/ Diskette Drive & Keyboard

$699.00



Vintage HP-85A Series 80 Computer Hewlett Packard Working Powers On + Case RAM picture

Vintage HP-85A Series 80 Computer Hewlett Packard Working Powers On + Case RAM

$275.00



Vintage Key Tronic LT DESIGNER Mechanical/Rubber Dome Keyboard DIN-5 AT/XT picture

Vintage Key Tronic LT DESIGNER Mechanical/Rubber Dome Keyboard DIN-5 AT/XT

$50.00