-
Junior Member
registered user
Include all possible resolutions in X
Knoppix starts up with a resolution of 1024x768 but I have a 20" monitor. When I looked at XF86Config-4 all the possible monitor settings were there up to 1600x1200 but the screen section maxed out at 1024x768. I think it would be a cool thing if all the possibile screen resolutions were available. I understand that the system should still default to 1024x768 to be on the safe side but it would be nice to have to press a couple key strokes to up the resolution instead of editing the config XF86Config file.
Just an idea.
-
Senior Member
registered user
It is set up to work that way- when you boot pass this to the kernel
screen=1600x1200
It's called a 'cheat code'
Go read the documentation on this site.
-
Junior Member
registered user
I tried that Cheat Code but it didn't work. Here's the thread in another forum asking for support on that:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...101&highlight=
And my point was we could skip that cheat code since Knoppix is smart enough to pick all the possible resolutions for my monitor, why not just take it the one extra step and make all those resolutions available in X.
-
Senior Member
registered user
The Resize and Rotate extension in the new Xfree86 4.3 should let people dynamically change their screen resolutions. From what I understand, KDE 3.1 anticipated this and already has the ability to use this feature in X 4.3. Since the next release of Knoppix will include KDE 3.1, it will hopefully be only a mater of time until X 4.3 makes it's way in.
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
Senior Member
registered user
" why not just take it the one extra step and make all those resolutions available in X."
Ohhhhhhhhhhh ic
I read somewhere (can't remember) that it is possible to use some hotkeys maybe............ctl&+ & ctl&- <----just a guess I never tried it out. Anyone else seen this? Maybe I'm just losing it
-
Junior Member
registered user
That's the first thing I tried. It still only went up to 1024x768. I looked at the XF86Config-4 file and 1024x768 was the max resolution setup in the screen section but the monitor section had resolutions up to 1600x1200. Also, the key strokes are actually Ctrl+Alt+(+/-).
-
Senior Member
registered user
so did you add your desired screen sizes to the monitor section?
I know you wanted automation but that's as close as it gets I guess.
Similar Threads
-
By clarjon1 in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 18
Last Post: 07-30-2005, 12:31 AM
-
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-27-2004, 02:35 PM
-
By heXen in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-21-2004, 12:06 PM
-
By spydie in forum The Lounge
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-05-2004, 09:13 AM
-
By stevedperkins in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-26-2003, 05:41 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99

Samsung Planet First 8GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R
$341.00

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

Micron 6x64GB(384GB)DDR4 ECC Registered LRDIMM PC4-2400T 288-Pin MTA72ASS8G72LZ
$1600.00

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB
$124.95

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$489.96

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99