-
Yes! good point Ge0ph
luckily I noticed this as well. However, I managed to get through the install with no problems....BUT i am having problems with the dual-boot with windows 2000. Basically, Im sure I have done something wrong, because now when I re-boot I get a screen full of "10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10". Basically, I will explain exactly what I did on install, and hopefully somebody can point out where I have gone wrong....as I stated before, I am installing to a secondary "seperate" hard drive (NOT a partition of my WIN2k drive)
ran sudo knx-hdinstall and in cfdisk
configured my 4gig drive like this...
hdb1 | boot | primary | linux ext3 | 3700MB
hbd2 | | primary | linux swap | 300MB
hope this is correct ?
I then did "write" on both hdb1 and hdb2
Said yes to use swap
said yes to make hdb2 swap
said yes to make hdb1 root
The installation then copied the files
Said no to Smail
Said no to SSH
Said yes to Samba (got other win boxes on the network)
Said yes to Cups
Said yes to KDE
Named my machine
Said yes to DHCP
Setup my passwords
NOW, this next bit with the LILO boot loader is what I wasnt sure about..I have actually installed 2 times now...on the first attempt I selected Yes to LILO on the MBR and the second time I re-installed I selected NO to LILO. However, both ways still produced a boot up with a screen full of "10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10"
The trouble is, as far as I can see, is that in my BIOS, I have to choose which IDE to boot up with. Now I added my second hard drive at a later date, and I can't remeber offhand if I have my 2 hard drives as master and slave on the same IDE bus, because I have 2 CD drives as well. If it is this problem, then I can easily fix it by re-wiring, however, I am not sure this is the fault. I don't know if anybody can see by reading through what I have done during the installation if I have made any mistakes ? I am still not sure as to how the dual-booting will work with my windows 2000 on one disk and my Knoppix on the other ? Would I normally get the WinNT boot loader letting me choose one or the other ? Or should LILO work and offer me the choice of what I want to boot ? This is the main bit that is confusing me. However, if nobody can see anything wrong, maybe It is the IDE wiring ?
Hope somebody can point out what I am doing wrong.
All the best guys
Fortran
Similar Threads
-
By jmario in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-12-2004, 08:56 PM
-
By tweety77 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-04-2004, 09:43 PM
-
By legal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:33 PM
-
By Mr.Redhat in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-11-2004, 02:46 PM
-
By bxb32001 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 13
Last Post: 10-26-2003, 12:36 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS
$65.00

Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module
$29.25

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT
$159.99

50x RAM Box Tray DDR2 DDR3 DDR4 DDR5 ESD DIMM Memory Shipping Storage Transport
$9.99

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$30.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM
$85.00