Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Radeon 9700 driver install?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2

    Radeon 9700 driver install?

    Hi there!
    I just installed Knoppix on HD and was going to install the ATI drivers next....
    Now, I am not absolutely new to Linux, but my last Linux installation was SUSE 5...quite a bit ago
    Anyway, I tried to install the ATI drivers for Xfree 4.3, but it just fails....
    First it was complaining bout rpm folder not beeing available, after creating one (which I think is not the solution anyway) it just gave me a bunch of errors and failed.
    BTW, I just double clicked the rpm file to install....

    Is there even a way to install the Radeon drivers on knoppix or is it impossible?

    Thx in advance!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Knoppix uses the Debian ( .deb ) package system to install a .rpm you have to use the program alien to convert and install the .rpm. The command as root would be alien -i the_file.rpm to convert and install. note: The .rpm may not install properly it depends on what the package needs you should look at the documents with the driver for instuctions on installing to a Debian system.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2
    Thx Stephen, tried that but it failed.
    I just alienized the stuff but when installing it told me this:
    Code:
    (Reading database ... 112986 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking fglrx-glc22 (from .../fglrx-glc22_4.3.0-4.2_i386.deb) ...
    dpkg: error processing //root/Desktop/fglrx-glc22_4.3.0-4.2_i386.deb (--install):
     trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2', which is also in package xlibmesa4-gl
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     //root/Desktop/fglrx-glc22_4.3.0-4.2_i386.deb
    Now, I tried this with X running and not running, both times the same (thought it might be locked somehow due to X running).

    Btw, what I also noticed was that I can not update any packages with apt. I tried udate on KPackage, it will show me a list of all the updates but when trying to install just drops an error msg: exec failed: No such file or directory
    This happens also to any package I am trying to uninstall.
    Upgrades and Fixes on apt wont even show me a list of available stuff (guess Knoppix is not designed for that).

    Anyway, help concerning that error msg when installing Radeon drivers would be apprectiated.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3
    I have exactly the same problem. Have you found a solution yet?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3
    You must use dpkg -i --force-overwrite fglrx-glc22_4.3.0-4.2_i386.deb

    Then you might have to compile a kernl module, see readme file from ati

Similar Threads

  1. Radeon 7000 driver
    By soundtech99 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-06-2005, 10:19 PM
  2. ATI Mobile Radeon IGP 340M Driver
    By viperunix in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-18-2005, 08:44 AM
  3. ATI Radeon driver install possible using poorman's install?
    By Quip Frok in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-28-2004, 11:27 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-19-2004, 05:45 PM
  5. Radeon 9700 detection
    By vanyar in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-07-2003, 08:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Clear M6531 Apple Pro Speakers by Harman Kardon For iMac G4  picture

Vintage Clear M6531 Apple Pro Speakers by Harman Kardon For iMac G4

$59.45



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer picture

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer

$419.99



Compaq Presario 7594 Vintage Desktop PC Windows 98 SE 64MB Floppy CD-ROM picture

Compaq Presario 7594 Vintage Desktop PC Windows 98 SE 64MB Floppy CD-ROM

$129.00



Vintage Dell AT101W GYUM90SK 6780D ps/2 'Clicky' Mechanical Beige Keyboard picture

Vintage Dell AT101W GYUM90SK 6780D ps/2 'Clicky' Mechanical Beige Keyboard

$79.00



Vintage NRI Model 832 Microcomputer Case - See Photos picture

Vintage NRI Model 832 Microcomputer Case - See Photos

$295.00



5x Vintage Apple Macintosh II NuBus Cards 630-4179 NI GPIB DIO Asante Ethernet picture

5x Vintage Apple Macintosh II NuBus Cards 630-4179 NI GPIB DIO Asante Ethernet

$239.95



Vintage ISA Expansion Card Lot Async Serial I/O Printer Game RAM Untested picture

Vintage ISA Expansion Card Lot Async Serial I/O Printer Game RAM Untested

$109.89



Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ* picture

Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ*

$80.00



Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard picture

Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard

$350.00