-
Radeon 9700 driver install?
Hi there!
I just installed Knoppix on HD and was going to install the ATI drivers next....
Now, I am not absolutely new to Linux, but my last Linux installation was SUSE 5...quite a bit ago 
Anyway, I tried to install the ATI drivers for Xfree 4.3, but it just fails....
First it was complaining bout rpm folder not beeing available, after creating one (which I think is not the solution anyway) it just gave me a bunch of errors and failed.
BTW, I just double clicked the rpm file to install....
Is there even a way to install the Radeon drivers on knoppix or is it impossible?
Thx in advance!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Knoppix uses the Debian ( .deb ) package system to install a .rpm you have to use the program alien to convert and install the .rpm. The command as root would be alien -i the_file.rpm to convert and install. note: The .rpm may not install properly it depends on what the package needs you should look at the documents with the driver for instuctions on installing to a Debian system.
-
Thx Stephen, tried that but it failed.
I just alienized the stuff but when installing it told me this:
Code:
(Reading database ... 112986 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking fglrx-glc22 (from .../fglrx-glc22_4.3.0-4.2_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing //root/Desktop/fglrx-glc22_4.3.0-4.2_i386.deb (--install):
trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2', which is also in package xlibmesa4-gl
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
//root/Desktop/fglrx-glc22_4.3.0-4.2_i386.deb
Now, I tried this with X running and not running, both times the same (thought it might be locked somehow due to X running).
Btw, what I also noticed was that I can not update any packages with apt. I tried udate on KPackage, it will show me a list of all the updates but when trying to install just drops an error msg: exec failed: No such file or directory
This happens also to any package I am trying to uninstall.
Upgrades and Fixes on apt wont even show me a list of available stuff (guess Knoppix is not designed for that).
Anyway, help concerning that error msg when installing Radeon drivers would be apprectiated.
-
I have exactly the same problem. Have you found a solution yet?
-
You must use dpkg -i --force-overwrite fglrx-glc22_4.3.0-4.2_i386.deb
Then you might have to compile a kernl module, see readme file from ati
Similar Threads
-
By soundtech99 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-06-2005, 10:19 PM
-
By viperunix in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-18-2005, 08:44 AM
-
By Quip Frok in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-28-2004, 11:27 PM
-
By jerzfr in forum Laptops
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-19-2004, 05:45 PM
-
By vanyar in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 9
Last Post: 04-07-2003, 08:00 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD.
$629.99

Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852
$559.00

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$200.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$149.99

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00

IBM Power S922 9009-22A Power9 DDR4 10GbE 6X SFF Barebone Server
$999.95

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$108.92

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$281.25